Principal Technical Program Manager
Principal Technical Program Manager, Transaction Risk Management Systems (TRMS)
Our organization provides secure identity verification, screening, suspicious activity detection & prevention, as well as regulatory reporting systems to scale to the exponential growth in Amazon payments products. We leverage Machine Learning to understand our account holder's behavior, and can detect changes in that pattern to identify suspicious activity. We leverage unique storage systems such as graph database technologies. We provide Compliance Officers and investigators sophisticated rules management platform to control risk calculations.
We are looking for super star Principal TPM technical leader that can drive global programs that impact many Amazon payments products from established multi-billion dollar businesses to new startups.
You will get an opportunity to influence Amazon technical architecture across multiple VP's, establish and own a roadmap. This role requires working with across product teams as well as a new Governance, Risk, Compliance, and Legal business unit to define strategy and requirements, and lead cross functional development teams from design through delivery. You will be accountable for driving the entire product lifecycle, from product definition through specification, coding, quality assurance and launch to the world. This position involves regular communication with senior management (multiple director and VP's) on status, risks and change control. Cross-team coordination, agile project management and executive presentation skills are essential.
The ideal candidate is a creative, demonstrated leader/manager with superior analytical abilities. This opportunity requires excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. The candidate is not just a policy maker/spokesperson but drives to get the right things done. At the core of the position is delivery.
In this role you will work closely with the software development and product teams to deliver high quality, scalable products on new strategic products and services. You will ensure the most efficient use of resources and technologies. You will work with all the stakeholders to assemble project teams, assign responsibilities, identify appropriate resources needed, and develop schedules to ensure timely completion of projects by meeting project milestones.
You will also assess risks, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, make tradeoffs, balance the business needs versus technical constraints and encourage risk taking behavior to maximize business benefit.
Successful candidates will have a technical background, be detail driven and have excellent problem solving abilities. You should not only be passionate about delivering extensible, on-time solutions, but should also be obsessed with contributing to the development of high-performance teams through rigorous goal-setting, disciplined attention to performance metrics, continuous process improvement and mentorship.
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer
- 8+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
- 2+ years experience in a lead role coordinating and/or managing the efforts of other technical program managers
- 3+ years of coding experience in Java, C++, and Perl
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience managing efforts in Unix/Linux environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
- A first-hand working knowledge of current web technologies
- Experience with business applications such as Word, Excel and Project
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications and must be able to:
- Interact with Project Sponsors, Project Stakeholders and multiple business and technical teams to define and deliver complex features
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints
- Plan and manage multiple parallel projects
- Maximize resources for the greater good of the organization
- Identify, assess, track and mitigate issues and risks at multiple levels
- Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders
- Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities.
- Be the glue that is able to understand, plan, and manage the cross-team interdependencies for complex systems
- Communicate project issues and status in a concise, accurate, and professional manner
- Apply best practices to the software development lifecycle (SDLC) for projects based on experiences with a number of agile and blended approaches, as well effectively coordinating the implementations across teams using very different approaches
- Build and maintain integrated project schedules that account for internal/external dependencies, differing SDLC approaches, numerous constraints, and adequately factors in some contingency for some unplanned delays while still be aggressive
- Remain flexible to changing priorities, open to new ideas and have Amazon's success firmly in your focus
- A solid CS foundation including at least 3+ years of experience in a software engineering role, and good knowledge of OOAD, scalability issues and multi-tiered solutions.
- Seasoned project manager with 8+ years experience managing technology projects (software development and application infrastructure) with aggressive schedules.
- Solid experience and track record of successful system implementations utilizing multiple project management methodologies, tools and techniques. Strong familiarity with agile methodologies.
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross functional, projects.
- Experience developing Internet products and technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. This includes excellent listening skills, concise communications and targeting the message to specific audiences.
- Quantitative analytical abilities.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent technical skills.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top