We are bringing Amazon's trademarks (big ideas, tech, and customer obsession!) to recruiting at Amazon. Come help us hire the best, build great tools for our hiring managers and recruiters, and help the millions of candidates applying and visiting our career portal (people like you!) find their next amazing opportunity. Our team focus on candidates experience, assessments and matching candidates to the best role at Amazon.
Amazon Recruiting Technology is seeking a driven, results and business-oriented Principal Technical Program Manager (TPM) to join our expanding team. We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, relishes working at scale and puts big data to work, enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts, and above all else, is passionate about building innovative solutions and delivering impactful programs.
The role requires someone responsible for defining and delivering important programs with broad cross-organizational, and significant technology impact. Your work will focus on very large engineering efforts that solve significantly complex problems across Recruiting.
The right candidate will be trusted to operate with complete independence and will be often assigned to focus on areas where the business and/or architectural strategy has not yet been defined. They may be asked to directly lead solution design, implementation and delivery of a highly complicated cross-functional project in an ambiguous or new technology area. They will consistently bring strong, data-driven, and strategic technical judgment to decisions.
This role requires partnering with product leaders and technical teams to define strategy, requirements and timelines as well as lead cross-functional development teams through design, delivery and support. This position involves regular communication with senior leaders on roadmaps, progress, risks and change management. You will provide program leadership, mitigate projects risks, make tradeoffs, and balance business needs versus technical constraints.
The right candidate for this role is someone who has a strong program management background, is comfortable working with large, complex data sets, and has the ability to cultivate relationships and earn trust with teams at all levels. You must be able to thrive in a start-up environment and be willing to not only operate strategically, but roll up your sleeves and help get the job done.
As a Principal TPM, you will amplify your impact by educating the TPM and engineering communities in Recruiting Engine on program management best practices. You will participate in sharing knowledge and collaborating with other TPMs, specifically attending and/or presenting at internal conferences and TPM community events. You will help managers guide the career growth of their team members by mentoring and setting standards for TPMs and other technical leaders.
As a technical program leader, you will be part of the larger technical leadership community at Amazon. This community forms the backbone of the company and plays a critical role in defining business strategy and goals.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 7+ years of technical program management experience
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; you are able to communicate complex technical and strategic topics to diverse, cross-functional audiences.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
• Proven track record of delivering results in large, cross-functional initiatives.
• Technical skills to understand products at a software architecture and design level
• Resourceful - able to deliver results with minimal direction from conception through completion
• Ability to effectively collaborate with product, program, engineering, and quality assurance teams across many organizations to negotiate and assemble project plans, secure commitments on deliverables, and resolve blocking issues.
• Ability to turn ambiguous and ambitious big ideas into concrete delivery plans with iterative milestones that drive incremental impact
Please note that while the primary location of this opportunity is Vancouver (Canada), we are open to considering candidates who are based (or willing to be based) in our Toronto, Canada office location as well.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
• MBA or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Economics, Mathematics or related field, and/or equivalent experience
• Experience building and operating scalable products, services and platforms
• Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with senior leaders across a large enterprise