Are you passionate about the efficient use of infrastructure? Are you customer-obsessed and interested in helping us enable more efficient use of infrastructure across Alexa? If so, the Alexa Excellence Infrastructure, Cost, and Efficiency team is looking for a Principal Technical Program Manager to help revolutionize the way we use infrastructure for the services that drive Alexa so we can continue to deliver great experiences for customers.
Alexa is shaping the future of voice based personal assistants, and we need your help to own and lead large scale org-wide technical programs! Alexa is the Amazon cloud service and brain that powers Echo, the award-winning and groundbreaking Amazon device designed around you and your voice. Echo connects to Alexa to provide information, answer questions, play music, read the news, check sports scores or the weather, and much more. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future. We, at Alexa Excellence, are passionate to continuously improve the end user's experience and strive to find new ways to innovate and delight our customers.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading company/org wide programs, and will have a well-rounded technical background. You must be able to dive deep into Alexa's architecture, work alongside Principal Engineers and TPMs from different orgs and influence the implementation of new changes in the core Alexa services.
As a Principal TPM, you will lead a program of programs. You'll be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams. You'll also be responsible for ensuring our teams operate efficiently. You'll own our mechanisms for identifying the right long-term strategy and projects for the next year. You'll own and improve the mechanisms we use to track goals, status, and business metrics across teams. You'll help teams identify key risks, provide guidance on how to communicate them, and ensure leadership has the right visibility.
You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 7+ years of technical program management experience
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• 10+ years of experience managing software development programs
• Experience managing programs & driving schedules that involve multiple stakeholder teams
• Experience managing strategic organizational planning, such as long-term vision, 6-to-12-month planning
• Adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and both technical and non-technical individuals
• Experience scaling the processes of a growing organization
• Comfortable working in an agile, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
• PMP or Project Management Certification
• MBA or advanced degree in a quantitative field or Master's in Business Administration
• Experience managing efforts in distributed systems and/or developing large scale cloud solutions
• A first-hand working knowledge of current web and cloud technologies
• Experience driving large scale cost & efficiency programs implementing technical solutions to business problems