Principal Technical Program Manager
- Seattle, WA
Alexa is the personal assistant and cloud service that powers the next generation of ambient computing devices, devices designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains. At Alexa Communications, we are inventing the future of multimedia communications.
We have added many new capabilities to Alexa since its launch, but it's still Day 1! You can be part of the team that connects millions of people together through Alexa, creating meaningful and trusted communications services! In the role of Principal Technical Program Manager, you are responsible for defining and delivering innovative communications solutions with significant technical complexity as well as org-wide initiatives, such as Privacy compliance. Your work focuses on large program efforts that solve complex problems. You are trusted to operate with independence and will be assigned to focus on areas where the business and/or architectural strategy is not yet defined.
The right candidate will possess strong technical acumen along with deep expertise in leading large projects/programs across multiple teams. You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, not hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You have excellent verbal/written communication skills and are comfortable talking to any Senior Leader. You are known for making hard trade-off decisions and have a strong sense of building the right things for customers. You are able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, as well as roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
You create the correct sense of urgency for delivery. You proactively drive business and system-level reviews, aligning teams toward coherent technology choices and effective engineering processes. You identify gaps/opportunities within/across regions, architectures, and organizations (e.g. services, workflows, tooling).
In this role, you will:
• Build solutions that reach millions of new customers all over the world, providing them innovative communications experiences in their local language.
• Drive Software based communications features for Alexa-enabled devices and applications.
• Engage with internal partners from different functional teams along with external partners, (e.g. communications equipment/OEM manufacturers, carrier service providers, mobile app developers, architects, hardware engineers and project managers) to drive technical requirements and manage timelines.
• Own the technical planning and delivery of customer products and Comms roadmap
• Manage prioritization and tradeoffs against customer experience, developer and time to market.
• Drive architecture, engineering and integration decisions and timelines with dependency teams
• Establish business processes and policies as well as metrics and indicators for success.
• Develop, report, and continually improve quality and performance metrics
• Proactively identify and resolve risks and issues that may impair the team's ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 7+ years of technical program management experience
• Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science or a related technical discipline.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope technical requirements and prioritize tasks
• Strong business and technical vision
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
• An advanced technical degree, PMP or MBA
• Experience in technical program management with carrier service providers, mobile platforms, OEM devices, IoT, or embedded devices industry.
• Experience with communications products and protocols (IP messaging, voice, and video).
• Experience with speech-related hardware or software systems
• Expertise in agile software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including agile estimation and planning, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Back to top