Principal Solutions Architect - Non-Relational Database Technologies
- Seattle, WA
Are you an expert in non-relational database technologies who has hands on development experience? Do you like to solve the most complex and large-scale databases and analytics challenges in the world today? Do you have deep expertise in designing, developing, implementing, and running mission critical systems for workloads including high performance transaction processing , or real-time analytics, or data warehousing, or other data driven applications at internet scale? Do you want to have an impact in the development and use of new technologies and frameworks? Do you like to gain the deepest customer insights using Cloud computing technologies? Would you like a career that gives you opportunities to help customers use Cloud computing web services to build new solutions, faster, and at lower cost?
AWS has a diverse databases and analytics portfolio of services. In this role, as a Principal Solutions Architect, you will:
• Promote technical readiness and capability of database services by driving organizational initiatives across multiple geographies to develop and share best practices.
• Collaborate with our customer, partners, and AWS engineering teams to solve for enterprise problems like Database Migrations, or build design patterns for Cloud Native, Serverless, Mobile Backends, and Microservices based applications on the cloud.
• Engage to architect and design for our customers modernizing to build data driven applications, and drive the evolution of the AWS Services by innovating around capabilities like event logging, streaming, graph, location aware, and messaging.
• Recognize and drive opportunities to lead technical discussions in designing highly available, distributed, resilient, and globally scalable applications and data products using NoSQL technologies and frameworks.
• As a technical advisor you will guide the customer on how to optimize their workloads in the AWS Cloud.
You will be an integral part of the AWS Database Services Organization (DBSO), Customer Advisory Team (CAT). It's a function within the Database Services (DBS) engineering team that aims to improve engineering support for field teams around the world. This group is comprised of Solution Architects (SA) with deep technical expertise in database technologies, data warehousing, big data, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. Primary functions of the team include advising key AWS customers on how to leverage database and analytics services to solve their most challenging problems, advice on effective patterns & practices, build and publish foundational reference solution architectures, be the voice of the technical field for DBS, and building a strong worldwide communities. DBS CAT projects bring repeatable customer value addressing recurring customer challenges, mitigating adoption blockers, influencing service roadmap, and delivering deploy-able architectures that can be used by many customers.
With this role, you will have deep expertise in one or more technology domains across non-relational databases. The role will allow you to focus on database technologies on AWS, including and not limited to DynamoDB, DocumentDB, Ledger, Elasticache, Cassandra, Timestream, and Neptune. The role has worldwide scope, and could result in up to 25% travel.
Amazon aims to be the most customer centric company on earth. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers critical applications for hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world.
The ideal candidate will ...
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". As the right candidate, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge.
Enjoy working with customers and partners. You have a passion for educating, training, designing, and building cloud based solutions for some of the world's largest and most important organizations.
Innovate and build solutions that are simple. You are always inquisitive, have a thirst to learn and keep up with technology shifts, and yearn to improve yourself continuously. You are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them.
Dive Deep and be Pragmatic. You keep a keen eye on details, roll your sleeves up and are skeptical when metrics and anecdotes differ. You evaluate your body of work to bring the biggest impact.
• Understand customer requirements and existing environments, and translate these into configurations in AWS that meet performance, scalability, and availability needs.
• Design Customer Solutions, collaborate with AWS field, services, sales, training and support teams, to help partners and customers learn to use Amazon Databases.
• Devise Strategy and Engage with Solution Architects, Account Managers, Professional Services and Partners to define a Database & Analytics Engagement strategy for AWS key accounts.
• Extract best-practice knowledge, and patterns from these engagements for sharing with the worldwide AWS solutions architect community and produce customer facing reference architectures.
• Assist solution providers with the definition and implementation of technical solutions aligned with their business strategies.
• Partner with business development and account management teams in helping to ensure customer success in building and migrating applications, software and services on the AWS platform.
• Capture and share best-practice knowledge among the worldwide AWS solution architect community.
• Provide thought leadership on Database and Analytics solutions that benefit customers through the use of AWS Services. This takes the form of contribution to external publications such as the AWS DBS Blogs, technical content like white papers and Solution Reference Architectures, as well as internal training of Solutions Architects, Professional Services Consultants, Technical Account Managers, and AWS Trainers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Have deep expertise in one or more technology domains across non-relational databases.
• Has worked on one or more major clouds providers, AWS, Azure, GCP, or have strong working knowledge of Cloud Native and Cloud Computing technologies.
• Highly technical and analytical, possessing 10 or more years of Database and/or Analytics Systems development and deployment experience, IT systems and engineering experience, and security and compliance experience.
• Possess significant experience of software development and/or IT and implementation/consulting experience.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
• Hands on experience as a database, data warehouse, big data/analytics developer or administrator.
• Implementation of database technologies at scale, including transaction processing, analytics, security, logging and monitoring. Experience of advanced deployment architectures such as availability, resiliency and fault tolerance.
• Experience of data migration techniques and process planning.
• Experienced in databases technologies including schema design, query tuning, performance optimization, and diagnostics gathering. Knowledge of foundation infrastructure requirements such as Networking, Storage, and Hardware optimization.
• Possession of both technical and customer-facing skills enabling perception as a "trusted advisor" to customers. He or she will be able to facilitate relationships with senior technical executives, as well as easily interact and give guidance to software developers, IT operations staff, and system architects.
• BS level technical degree required; Computer Science or Mathematics background preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
• Hands on experience leading large-scale global database, data warehousing and analytics projects.
• Track record of implementing AWS services in a variety of business environments such as large enterprises and start-ups.
• Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Database and/or Data Warehousing.
• Experience with a programming or scripting language
• Understanding of application, server, and network security
• Executive speaking and presentation skills - Formal presentations, white boarding, large and small group presentations.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
• Advanced technical degrees in computer science, software engineering, or mathematics.
• AWS Certification, eg. AWS Solutions Architect, Developer, or SysOps Associate/Professional.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top