The AWS organization in Bucharest, Romania drives bleeding edge innovation in serverless, container virtualization technologies and secure execution environments. The work we do has direct impact to AWS's Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2), AWS Lambda, AWS Fargate, and Nitro Enclaves. We evolve the Nitro Architecture to make new ways of trusted secure execution environments to our customers. We created Firecracker, an open source virtualization technology purpose-built for creating and managing secure, multi-tenant container and function-based services that provide serverless operational models; and we are building a rust-vmm community for development of virtualization components and purpose-built VMMs. This is incredibly exciting space, and a great opportunity for a Principal Engineer to shape the future open source virtualization technologies and leave a lasting legacy in this space, beyond Amazon.
Firecracker runs workloads (like AWS Lambda functions) in lightweight virtual machines, called microVMs, which combine the security and isolation properties provided by hardware virtualization technology with the speed and flexibility of containers. Nitro Enclaves enables customers to create isolated compute environments to further protect and securely process highly sensitive data such as personally identifiable information (PII), healthcare, financial, and intellectual property data within their Amazon EC2 instances.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to provide technical leadership to our development teams in Bucharest. In this role, you will define the strategic vision and set the technical direction for Firecracker, Nitro Enclaves, rust-vmm and the other virtualization projects we build. You will work with our customers and leaders across the company to understand the business direction. You will work with the other teams in AWS to understand their services and how your team can innovate and meet their needs. You will lead high performance teams and foster innovation.
The solutions you and your teams deliver will impact Amazon's millions of customers. You will have an opportunity to have noticeable impact on Amazon's operating cost, top-line growth, and business agility.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
• Experience delivering enterprise-level solutions
• Excellent understanding of Operating System concepts & internals, with interests in Linux
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 6+ years of technical leadership experience
• A strong track record of shipping software on time
• Excellent data structures and algorithms knowledge
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Strong background in data security and developing secure software
• Virtualization expertise
• Keen business sense in the compute space
• Experience with scaling and performance of large tier-1 systems
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to drive interaction with open-source communities