Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers' experiences in ways we can't even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
As a Sensor Applied Scientist, you will help invent the future in conceiving, designing and developing innovative products where sensing and primarily cameras play a central role. You will work closely with a number of teams across AR to understand requirements and deliver solutions that are robust, have clear interfaces, speed up future development of future products, and can be used across Amazon.
We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast-paced start-up like environment and are highly motivated, responsive, collaborative, and detail oriented while delivering to the highest standards.
- Serve as the technical lead for sensor software system and components through specification, simulation, calibration and validation.
- Use software tools (LightTools, Zemax etc.) to model system optics characteristics
- Work with cross-functional team to draft component specification, design reviews
- Model camera performance including simulation
- Create production calibration procedures and software
- Verify that sensor systems meet specifications
- Validate that models and simulations match expectations
- Perform hands-on bring-up, testing and troubleshooting of sensor systems
- Function as a subject matter expert on sensor modelling, calibration and validation
- Design and gain alignment on solutions that serve multiple teams, develop processes that enable fast progress during prototype, and see around corners for future needs.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent with a focus on Optics, Physics or Mathematics
- Minimum of 6 years experience developing software with Java and/or C++ for commercial or industrial applications.
- Experience with Deep Learning and classical CV techniques
- Experience designing highly scalable and robust systems
- Deep knowledge and experience with a wide variety of sensors
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Provide the customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions
- Excellent written (research papers) and oral communication skills
- Able to work on challenging assignments with aggressive schedules
- Experience with automated build and test and/or test driven development
- Solid understanding of and experience with Services Oriented Architecture (SOA)