Principal Product Manager Technical
- Seattle, WA
As earth's most customer-centric company, Amazon strives to earn and grow customer trust in every dimension including ensuring that its product catalog earns the customer's trust. An information-rich and accurate product catalog is a key strategic asset for Amazon. It powers unrivaled product discovery, informs customer buying decisions, offers a large selection and positions Amazon as the first stop for product discovery. Amazon Catalog Systems is looking for a customer-focused seeking a Principal Product Manager Technical (PPMT) to help us make the world's best product catalog even better
In this role you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects across the Amazon Catalog Systems. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications including success criteria, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between stakeholders to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to stakeholders, internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a Principal TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Technologies you will employ to solve these complex real-world business problems include Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Image Recognition, Elastic Computing, Spark, and a host of other state of the art AWS technologies. You will have end to end ownership - all the way from defining the strategy to measuring metrics to monitoring day to day progress of these programs. You will provide direct visibility to senior leadership on all aspects of your programs on a regular cadence.
Key Performance Areas
• You will manage business requirements, design, performance expectations and goals with all stakeholder teams.
• You will partner with management to define strategy and build road maps for the projects you own.
• You will track real time service levels and schedule adherence, and ensure the individual stakeholder teams meet and exceed their performance targets.
• You will be responsible for the overall coordination, quality and productivity and will be the primary point of contact for world-wide stakeholders of programs that you run.
• Throughout, you will internalize Amazon's Leadership Principles, and live those into everyday practices to guide your programs to success.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of relevant program management experience
• Strong understanding of software development process with an appreciation for maintaining a high quality bar with low operational overhead.
• Understanding of drivers of performance, scale and operational excellence in software and ability to work with software development manager to ensure these aspects in all software used in the program.
• Show excellent communication skills in written and oral English with the ability to face external and internal customers in a professional and mature manner.
• Candidates should demonstrate superior project management and troubleshooting skills. An approach that starts from the end customer and then work backwards from there.
• Master's degree
• Experience in building and driving adoption of new tools
• Experience in delivering Amazon-scale systems
• An understanding of distributed and service-oriented architectures.
• Program managed rollout and operations of large scale commercial enterprise software systems or large scale online services
• Experience with Agile Development techniques
• Interest in large scale data mining and big data.
• Experience with technologies like Hadoop, Rules based systems and Machine learning
Back to top