Principal Product Manager - Technical
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to directly impact how Amazon builds customer trust globally by consistently delivering the lowest prices possible? We are a single, centralized team that owns the systems and strategies impacting billions of price changes worldwide for the Amazon Retail business. The problems we are solving are uniquely exciting and impactful. Pricing continues to be one of the key pillars to Amazon's success. Not only do we have to constantly reinvent ourselves to propel the growth of the Amazon ecosystem, we have to anticipate changes in the external environment and gear up for the future before it happens on a global scale. We consider earning and maintaining the trust our customers place in the prices on Amazon to be our responsibility and we are looking for a seasoned Product Manager to join us.
This specific role is focused on innovating in pricing for regional and cross-border programs. We will build large-scale systems to price millions of items without requiring human input to delight our customers. As part of this effort, you will define the multi-year vision for building out Pricing systems and algorithms that work in less than ideal data conditions, in nascent market segments and in places where substitutes are rampant, but hard to discover. You will work with research scientists, economists, ML practitioners and our engineering team to help achieve this vision. Successful candidates will enjoy diving deep into data, have outstanding critical reasoning skills, excellent communication strategies and comfortable with executive level reviews. You will thrive in a collaborative, creative, meticulous, and fast-paced environment and are comfortable interacting with technical software development teams, research teams and economists. You will be able to separate out idealistic from practical and balance both to continue to move forward. You will excel at looking around corners, and anticipating where to build and when to test to fail fast. You must have the experience and capability to prepare documentation for senior executives. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of businesses we engage with.
As part of this role you will -
1. Define the multi-year vision for the space
2. Build and manage high quality product roadmaps based on your vision and strategy
3. Work backwards to shape what the initial building blocks to achieve that vision will be
4. Work with key business stakeholders, engineering partner teams, Pricing Research, and Central Economics to build out requirements for the different phases
5. Work with our in-house engineering team to build and innovate in the space
6. Manage prioritization and trade-offs for speed to launch, performance, and features
7. Gain backing for your strategy and roadmap from stakeholders by writing narratives and influencing peers and senior executives
8. Create program goals and related metrics, track progress, and manage through obstacles to achieve your objectives.
If the scale of the space sounds interesting, we would love to talk to you!
• Bachelor's Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or related fields
• Executive Presence: comfort steering meetings and communicating with senior executives, excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to simplify complex topics for broad audiences
• 7+ years of work experience managing multiple competing priorities and engaging technical & non-technical stakeholders
• Ability to work with teams at all levels of the organization and apply concepts to different countries
• Experience shaping business strategy for technical products or services
• Data-driven decision making or quantitative analysis skills
• Demonstrated ability to successfully influence stakeholders without formal authority, collaborating with cross functional teams across geographies and business units
• Strong technical acumen. Can dissect complicated technical problems, simplify experiences and innovate on behalf of our customers
• Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit and be able to work effectively in a results-oriented, efficient environment
• Strong track record of delivering products and ensuring customer success
• Excellent written communication skills
• MBA preferred
• Experience working with machine learning systems
• 10+ years of experience operating, managing, and delivering results in a software product management role
• Prior experience in optimization related problem solving
• Experience delivering large scale, multi-team initiatives
Back to top