Amazon is looking for a Principal Product Manager - Tech (PMT) to act as a strategic advisor to the VP of Softlines on Global roadmap technical parity and for the Merch By Amazon program with our Softlines technology teams based in the US and EU.
The PMT will be responsible for identifying all points of friction for deploying US and EU-based Softlines technology in Japan and advise the VP on how to remove these blockers. Additionally. The PMT will be the primary advocate and evangelist of the Japan VP's strategy to the US and EU. In this role, you will have a strong understanding of our Japanese customers' needs, local business strategy as determined by the JP team, give clear advice and paths forward to making tradeoffs between meeting local use cases versus scaled global features, and ensure that Japan is equipped to keep pace with the most recent software innovations for Amazon Softlines. You a key advisor for both the head of Softlines in Japan and the Softlines Japan leadership team, ensuring awareness of the present and future product direction and own ensuring the Japan team is prepped to launch and scale these programs promptly.
For Merch by Amazon (MbA), the PMT is responsible for fully understanding the business goals of the local team and providing technical solutions and non-technical advice on how to achieve them. In this role you are responsible for understanding all aspects of local strategy, including the P&L goals of the JP team, product expansion plans, and operational improvement needs to deliver advice in the form of turn key recommendations the business can then apply to be successful. In this role you must work effectively with leaders across JP retail and operations who are based in Tokyo to understand their goals and strategies, as well as with the product and business leadership team based in Seattle. The ideal candidate for this role is a strong and effective communicator who is comfortable working independently and deep diving into performance data to build excellent recommendations. The ideal candidate is also a self-starter who excels in the Amazon Leadership Principles of Earning Trust, Ownership, Delivering Results, Bias for Action, and Diving Deep.
Merch By Amazon
Who we (Merch) are...
Do you love fashion and graphic apparel? Are you inspired by makers, creators, and DIY businesses that are leveraging on-demand product creation? At Merch by Amazon, we print t-shirts (and sweatshirts, and hoodies, and phone cases, and PopSockets). On-demand. For any Amazon customer who orders them. On behalf of thousands of entrepreneurial designers who upload merchandise designs to our site ( merch.amazon.com ).
Since launching in 2015, we have scaled our business to the US, EU-5, and JP across several types of apparel and retail products and we're just getting started. We empower content creators of all sizes, from amateur designers to large brands, to scale their merchandise sales globally without the constraints of managing inventory or a supply chain.
Who you are:
We are seeking a versatile, technically fluent PM to provide the technical support and non-technical advise needed to grow our Merch by Amazon business in Japan which launched in Q4 2020. In this role you are responsible understanding all aspects of the JP teams' business strategy, local customer needs, and crafting turn key recommendations and technical support that can be executed swiftly and easily by the local team. In this role you must work effectively with leaders across JP retail and operations who are based in Tokyo as a trusted advisor, as well as with the product and business leadership team based in Seattle. The ideal candidate for this role is a strong and effective communicator with good business judgment who is comfortable working independently and deep diving into performance data. The ideal candidate is also a self-starter who excels in the Amazon Leadership Principle's of Earning Trust, Ownership, Delivering Results, Bias for Action, and Diving Deep.
JP Softlines Product Manager
Acting as an advocate and technical representative for the VP, Softlines Japan with the US tech team to seek CX and VX parity with US and EU Merch where relevant.
This will include deeply understanding JP specific product requirements and advocating for JP needs in the product roadmap with the product and tech teams that are all based in Seattle. Specifically, the lead will need to ensure that the JP is included in the tech development initiatives at the planning stage, as working the locale into the system post development has proven a challenge both in time and cost. As an example, in the '22 OP1 roadmap we see that JP is left out of numerous tech and product launch plans (only US and EU are in scope) which this lead will need to work retroactively to fix. To be in the same timezones where live discussions are possible will be required for success in this role (all tech meetings are conducted in US-EU friendly timezone); this lead will specifically need to attend US-based sprint planning sessions, MBRs, QBRs, and tech design reviews.
- Act as a strategic advisor to the VP of Softlines and Director of the Softlines Business for Merch by Amazon, the US SL technical roadmap, and the EU SL technical roadmap
- Developing technical solves through the US and EU tech teams against the Japan Softlines' largest customer and business needs
- Advocating within the US for a localized, JP customer experience
- Delivering turn-key proposals to the VP and Director of Softlines for achieving local Merch by Amazon and CX goals
- Ensure that US-based features can be deployed easily in Japan with minimal friction
- Understanding the local Merch by Amazon operational teams' goals and strategy to deliver supporting tech and turn key recommendations to achieve their goals
- Becoming the subject matter expert on all aspects of the SL tech, EU tech, and Merch by Amazon roadmaps, providing regular written updates and leading review meetings to get everyone to information parity
- Deliver the VP JP Softlines' inputs into the US and EU total-softlines technology teams.
A bi-lingual (English and Japanese) product management leader with a business and financial acumen who can work effectively with internal stakeholders and supporting teams. He or she will have sound business judgment and a strong track record building and delivering turn key strategies and technical solves that enable business teams to hit their goals.
- BA Degree or equivalent
- 5-7 years of work experience in product management
- An understanding of and passion for e-commerce
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong numerical and analytical aptitude
- Proven experience leading cross-functional teams and projects
- Ability to think and react in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
- Technical aptitude and ability to learn web-based tools
- An MBA or masters degree in a technical field
- A background in the apparel, merchandising, and/or print-on-demand industry
- Fluent in Japanese language