Principal Product Management - AWS API Gateway
- Seattle, WA
Amazon API Gateway, an AWS service, is rapidly changing how every company - from 2-person startups to the largest of the Fortune 100 - think about building and delivering serverless and traditional applications in the cloud. API Gateway is the front-door of the Serverless revolution, an approach that lets customers turn business logic and application code into scalable, fault-tolerant production systems without requiring every developer to become an expert in distributed systems, deployment technologies, and infrastructure management. API Gateway turns daunting tasks such as traffic management, authentication, and authorization, monitoring and API versioning into easily configurable steps. It then helps companies to build their developer eco-systems and turns their data sets and business logic into new revenue streams.
The Seattle-based API Gateway team is growing rapidly and is looking for a product manager to provide business leadership for our increasingly broad and sophisticated workloads. We believe in the "mini CEO" model for product management. You will drive exciting new initiatives on API Gateway - from building new features to improving its performance and latency. This is a highly visible position that will interact at all levels of the AWS and Amazon.com businesses and the ability to collaborate effectively with other senior leaders and customers is a key requirement for this role.
If you are excited about cloud computing and architecting highly available and large-scale services used by millions of users, then join us in making the Serverless revolution ubiquitous.
What does it take to succeed in this role? You love working at scale. You are unafraid to roll up your sleeves and dive into the details while, at the same time, balancing the need for acting quickly. You think expansively about not only our API Gateway business, but about the broader Serverless computing business and the AWS business. You are a thoughtful leader who values diverse teams, knowing that a diverse team has the best chance of having the polite, but vigorous debate required for delivering great engineering solutions. You are motivated, curious and dedicated to making our customers huge fans of API Gateway. You make the team room both productive and fun to work in.
• Lead your product area, providing vision, technical leadership, and mentorship for your team.
• Author documents relating to product life cycle including product roadmap, business requirements, and functional specifications.
• Drive product development across teams (primarily Engineering, Operations, Product Management, Business Development, and Marketing) through business requirements, design, implementation, and deployment.
• Work collaboratively with Engineering as an advocate for the needs of our customers.
• Evaluate industry innovations and technology platforms.
• Work with the business development, account management, operations, and engineering teams to design, plan, and implement system integrations with partners and customers.
Desired Skills and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Master's degree preferred.
• 6+ years of demonstrated technical product management or program management experience, including defining and documenting functional specifications, system integrations, and control and data flows.
• Experience in leading product development start to finish, including shipping customer-facing products.
• Demonstrated solid judgment and effective communication skills. Ability to see the big picture, while navigating technology and partner development decisions and tradeoffs.
• Experience as product owner with the ability to drive prioritization consensus across business units and serve as an effective liaison between customers and engineering.
• Expertise in SOAP and REST web services
• Knowledge of latest trends and best practices in API development
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on communicating technical requirements and solutions to internal and external audiences.
• Strong facility with the leading project management tools and methods.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• 6+years experience in product management in the technology space
• Bachelor's degree in technology or technology management related field.Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication (both written and verbal) skills
• Proven success in delivering technology products/services in a high growth environment
• Demonstrated experience as a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly and effectively influence across cross functional teams.
• Experience in dealing with Mobile applications
• Knowledge of consumer related metrics, funnel analysis, conversion, consumer acquisition and retention and go to market strategies for technology product and services
• Experience interacting with Mobile Developers and Enterprises wanting to expand their offering to the Mobile space
• MBA or Master's degree in Technology (Computer Science, Computer Engineering)
• Experience defining and bringing to market Mobile applications that demonstrated significant consumer traction.
• High analytical skills and experience with quantitative analysis, funnel management, customer acquisition and retention.
• Excellent judgment
• Ability to think strategically and at the same time stay on top of tactical execution
• Curiosity to dig several layers deep into metrics, to understand key drivers and whether they are the correct or best metrics to measure/manage a business or process
• Have a desire to participate in change and appreciate a dynamic environment with rapidly changing priorities
• Delivery-focused, with a track record of shipping innovative, customer-centric, and successful products
• Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
• Commercial awareness developed in a fast-moving environment, having managed business models, customer and market segmentation, marketing plans, sales support/field marketing, and pricing for Internet services or enterprise software products
• 5+ years experience developing software
• 5+ years experience leading cross-functional software projects
• A first-hand working knowledge of current mobile technologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com
Back to top