Principal Mechanical Engineer, Data Center Engineering
Principal Mechanical Engineer
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer to become part of a global engineering team. This engineer is responsible for the mechanical infrastructure strategy and continuous product innovation and development to support our rapidly expanding global data center footprint.
Engineers at Amazon work to design resilient, cost effective mechanical cooling systems. As engineers at Amazon we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to Senior Management and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs. As an engineer at Amazon you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on.
We are looking for an engineer with hands on mission critical mechanical equipment/system design and implementation experience. If you have experience innovating new cooling system approaches, master planning building and campus cooling systems, and understand the constructability of varying designs you may be a good fit. Amazon performs engineering services in-house and this position will provide technical guidance for these efforts, will be leveraged to solve large scale implementation issues, and will be relied on as a subject matter expert in the mechanical engineering field. Amazon has a global presence and as such, a strong understanding of international mechanical design requirements is a necessity.
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for continued professional growth. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
At Amazon team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As a mechanical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, and vendors.
Travel will occasionally be necessary but shouldn't be more than 25%. International support will be part of the job and international travel will be needed.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
Responsibilities of the Principal Mechanical Engineer
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will:
- Develop strategic solutions which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary and redundancy requirements.
- Conceive, initiate, and lead projects with widespread impact on infrastructure design, innovation, and implementation.
- Set the standard for engineering, test, and OE best practices. Drives process improvements across the organization.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward and actionable solutions.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support our data centers.
- Maintain and host technical mechanical meetings to provide a collaborative environment for development of datacenter mechanical systems.
- Provide technical oversight of the Global Mechanical Basis of Design (BOD).
- Serve as a technical advisor for AWS datacenter mechanical designs.
- Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction and certification agencies to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
- Professional Engineering License.
- Cumulative 15+ years of experience with industrial or commercial mechanical design.
- Detailed understanding of chillers, cooling towers, direct and indirect evaporative cooling, variable speed drives, and fan systems.
- Strong knowledge of international building codes and regulations including IMC, IPC, IBC, NFPA, and OSHA.
- Past experience researching new designs, technologies, and construction methods for data center equipment and facilities.
- Past experience in carrying new product design concepts from exploration, concept, development, through deployment/construction.
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs while maintaining or improving quality, reliability, or maintainability.
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
- Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
- 10+ years of experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design.
- Detailed understanding of high capacity high efficiency mechanical system control strategies.
- Basic understanding of electrical system components and designs.
- Direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of data centers.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top