Principal Mainframe Modernization Architect
- Flexible / Remote
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for highly talented hands on technical architects to help accelerate our growing Professional Services business. This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies.
Professional Services engage in a wide variety of projects for customers and partners, providing collective experience from across the AWS customer base and are obsessed about strong success for the Customer. The Application Migration and Modernization (AM2) Practice collaborates across the entire AWS organization to bring access to product and service teams, to get the right solution delivered and drive feature innovation based upon customer needs. As trusted customer advocates, AM2 helps organizations understand best practices around advanced cloud-based solutions, how to migrate and/or re-develop existing workloads to the cloud. You will help shape, execute and deliver solutions for a broad range of customer use cases primarily from large enterprise customers.
In this role as an experienced mainframe cloud architect, you will assist our customers in architecting, developing and re-engineering applications that can fully leverage the AWS Cloud. You will work on a variety of game changing projects, at the forefront of application development and cloud technology adoption. Achieving success will require coordination across many internal AWS teams and external AWS Partners, with impact and visibility at the highest levels of the company.
In order for applications to be cloud optimized they need to be architected correctly enabling them to reap the benefits of elasticity, horizontal scalability, automation and high availability. On the AWS platform services such as Amazon EC2, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda, CodeStar, Amazon Elastic Container Services, Fargate, and Amazon EKS to design and build modern applications that are more secure, reliable, scalable, and quickly available for customers.
We are looking for hands on Architects who are passionate about:
• Thought Leadership with extensive knowledge in legacy modernization techniques related tools and approaches;
• Designing AWS architectures which meet or exceed the requirements of workloads coming from mainframe and legacy infrastructures;
• Helping customers architect scalable, highly available application solutions that leverage AWS services
• Architecting, developing and modernizing customer applications/systems to be cloud optimized
• Working as a technical leader alongside customer business, development and infrastructure teams.
• Advising and implementing AWS best practices
• Agile software development and DevOps
• Implementing DevOps practices such as infrastructure as code, continuous integration and automated deployment
Skills and qualifications include:
• Customer facing skills, "Thought Leader" to represent AWS well within the customer's environment and drive discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges;
• Proven track record of managing and delivering enterprise IT solutions/services and to define and execute successful project controls on large-scale projects;
• Highly technical and analytical, possessing 10+ years of implementation/consulting experience;
• Deep hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale;
• Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to work effectively across organization; and
• BS level technical degree required; Computer Science or Math background preferred; MS degree desired.
Our Consultants work with enterprise customers locally, regionally and potentially domestically. As such, Consultants will be required to travel to client locations to sell and deliver professional services as needed.
• Customer facing Thought Leader to represent AWS well within the customer's environment and drive discussions with senior personnel regarding modernization best practices and risk mitigation;
• 10+ years of hands-on technical experience with mainframe, non-x86 legacy systems and with technologies such as COBOL, JCL, CICS, DB2 for z/OS, Assembler, PL/I, Java, Rexx, flat/sequential files, GDGs, and VSAM;
• 10+ years of experience designing architectures for highly available, highly scalable, and highly secure enterprise systems.
• 10+ years of experience designing and deploying software and middleware solutions used in large enterprises.
• 5+ years of experience in a technical lead role migrating workloads from mainframe and non-x86 legacy systems to distributed x86 infrastructures on-premises or in the Cloud;
• 5+ years of experience integrating mainframe and non-x86 legacy systems with distributed Linux-based or Windows-based x86 servers.
• Experience with tools and methodologies used to migrate mainframe workloads via hardware/middleware emulation, automated code conversion, and replatforming;
• Experience with analyzing on-premises mainframe applications and data stores to formulate plans for modernizing workloads that achieve customer's desired business outcomes;
• Experience with analyzing on-premises mainframe applications and data stores to formulate plans for migrating workloads that achieve customer's desired business outcomes;
• Current hands-on implementation experience required; individual contributors only;
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field; and
• Ability to travel to client locations as needed (50%)
• Experience being a trusted advisor to large customers for their mainframe and legacy modernization initiatives
• Experience being a technical lead for multiple mainframe and non-x86 legacy migration efforts to AWS from the assessment, discovery, planning, to the migration delivery, and modernization phases;
• Experience with mainframe emulators, code and data conversion tools.
• Experience with COBOL modernization and porting application code across platforms.
• Experience with proprietary legacy data store migration to relational databases
• Experience augmenting mainframe and non-x86 legacy systems with new capabilities in AWS;
• Experience with legacy systems data replication or messaging
• Experience working with mainframe migration-related partners in the AWS Partner Network
• Ability to evaluate and plan migrations to AWS Platform
• Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud Computing, AWS services such as EC2, RDS, VPC, Containers, Microservices, and Serverless technology
• Experience designing application architecture congruent with the AWS Well-Architected Framework
• One of the AWS Associate or Professional level certifications
• Ability to lead effectively across multiple organizations
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment
• Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to work effectively across organizations; an
• Advanced degrees in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Math and/or business.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top