Principal Machine Learning Advisor, Startups and Venture Capital
- San Francisco, CA
The AWS Startup Business Development team champions and works alongside the world's highest-potential startups from conception to exit. Our mission is to ensure that they achieve success by accelerating their scientific, engineering and commercial efforts though our people, technology, knowledge, programs, and relationships.
We're expanding our efforts to help such ventures better take advantage of AWS capabilities in data science, machine learning (ML), and artificial intelligence (AI).
We're looking for an AI/ML subject matter expert who will be seen as a peer by startup founders/CxOs (at all stages of startup maturity), institutional investors, and other key influencers in the ML and startup ecosystem. Ideally, this individual would hold a PhD in an ML-related field and be the exited founder/CxO (or early operator) of one or more ML-related startups.
The role requires a keen sense of ownership, scrappiness, initiative, and a track record of executing in the face of ambiguity, shifting priorities, and limited resources.
There is a preference for this role to be based in San Francisco, New York, or Los Angeles, but the role is open to all locations in US.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Working with the founders/leaders of venture-backed startups to 1) identify their technical and commercial challenges/opportunities 2) map those needs onto people, technology, knowledge, programs, relationships across Amazon that could potentially help and 3) mobilize those assets to work on behalf of these startup customers
• Developing and holding relationships with key influencers in the startup ecosystem focused on AI/ML (e.g., venture funds, accelerators, university labs and programs). Activities include putting Amazon assets to work on behalf of their portfolio companies, driving customer and partner relationships for the portfolio, jointly producing thought leadership and educational events and/or the broader startup ecosystem.
• Collaborating with generalist colleagues across the global Startup Business Development team to better serve the needs of customers leveraging AI/ML technologies at all stages of startup life from conception to exit.
• Discovering, capturing and reporting back patterns and learnings from the field about challenges and opportunities as they relate to AI/ML. Continuously assessing the AI/ML market landscape as it relates to startups.
• Producing AI/ML thought leadership and technical-leaning content, workshops, and events for the startup ecosystem. Serving as a technical evangelist and AI/ML subject matter expert within AWS and externally.
• Informing, influencing, and contributing to the work of other AI/ML-related colleagues across AWS and Amazon including sales, marketing, business development, solutions architecture and product teams. Contributing to the development of our AI/ML strategy.
• Conceiving, authoring, securing support for, launching and executing new initiatives and programs to meet the needs of startup customers as they relate to AI/ML.
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, ideally with a focus on ML or a related field
• 5+ years of customer-facing business experience
• Hands-on experience with machine learning algorithms, model development, common frameworks, workflow tools, and applied AI (e.g., CV, NLP).
• Knowledge of core cloud computing concepts including compute, storage, networking, databases, and higher order capabilities including serverless and IoT; Ability to go deep enough on technical aspects to differentiate among various AWS services, as well as top use cases for popular startup industries
• Proven ability to build trust and manage relationships with the C-level leadership of startups, managing directors of investor organizations, and other key influencers in the startup ecosystem
• Proven ability to execute as an individual contributor in the face of ambiguity, shifting priorities, and limited resources
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• PhD or equivalent (e.g., DPhil, ScD) in Computer Science, ideally with a focus on ML or a related field
• Exited founder/CxO/operator of one or more ventures that involved data science, machine learning, or artificial intelligence
• 10+ years of customer-facing business experience
• Publications in peer-reviewed conferences or journals
• Speaking engagements at ML conferences and industry events
• AWS SA Associate or equivalent certification
• AWS ML Specialist or equivalent certification
• Software development experience (Python preferred)
• Experience working effectively and cross-functionally within a large organization
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top