- Chennai, India
The Device Management Systems (ADMS) organization in Chennai is specialized in building foundational solutions that cater to a number of critical customer experiences including device-authentication, device-registration, multi-device synchronization, over-the-air software updates, device-access-control through policy evaluation solutions supported by strong formal verification methods. These solutions cater to all Amazon first-party devices and other third-party devices, smart-home devices, mobile applications and services that connect to the Amazon cloud on behalf of customer scenarios that originate through these devices.
The organization is looking for an experienced and talented Principal Engineer that has experience and passion in building large-scale web service solutions and has a penchant on building IoT cloud solutions.
As an Amazon.com Principal Engineer you'll be a technical leader. You'll help establish technical standards and drive Amazon's overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You'll work on Amazon's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You'll think globally when building systems, ensuring Amazon.com builds high performing, scalable systems that fit well together. Amazon.com Principal Engineers are pragmatic visionaries who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you are hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
As a PE in the Device Management Systems org, you will have a greater say in defining the technical strategy, identify the right long-term architecture for the devices businesses roadmap. While building the architecture, you will be required to focus on the following tenets: security, availability, simplicity and efficiency. While you will have a high visibility as you will work with several engineering teams and their technical and product senior leadership, you will need exceptionally strong technical skills, strong business acumen, analytical skills, and be able to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
Key responsibilities include:
• Define the long term technical strategy and architecture vision for device management, leveraging new technologies to deliver features to our customers
• Think big and continuously pitch for foundational solutions that will help device businesses to use these solutions, where applicable, instead of building their own.
. Define technical approach to ensure data privacy is considered while providing foundational solutions.
• Partner with each device team to understand their customer needs and influence adoption of new services
• Analyze the business opportunity to externalize more of our services to 3rd-party device makers
. Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the Amazon developer community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
• Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. You'll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or technology initiatives. You'll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You'll strive for simplicity, and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
• Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• 10+ years of software engineering experience, including Java and/or C++.
• 10+ years of experience leading large-scale projects.
• 10+ years of experience in networking, multi-threaded applications, interprocess communication, and complex software development
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• Experience with databases.
• Experience developing Android and/or iOS applications.
• 2+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level Software Development Engineer.
• 2+ years of experience mentoring junior engineers to success.
• Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top