This position requires an individual who has significant employee and labor relations experience, deep subject matter knowledge, and strong communication and interpersonal skills that enables the individual to work successfully on a broad spectrum of employee and labor relations issues and projects. The position supports the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Americas operations.
The central objective of Amazon's Employee Relations (ER) team is to ensure our organization's treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent with our framework of our core business values and objectives. To support that objective, this position's responsibilities fall into proactive and reactive categories.
The individual will work as a project manager on proactive programs that improve local and network employee relations. The individual, for example, will work proactively to:
• Partner with Senior Managers and HR teams to create and sustain positive ER programs and best practices • Design and conduct multiple positive labor relations trainings and communications in partnership with Employment Legal teams
• Design, collect, and analyze multiple levels of employee feedback
• Partner to engage in continuous improvement in communication vehicles and practices
• Analyze, diagnose, design, and revise people programs, policies, and practices to sustain positive ER.
The individual also will work reactively on critical ER issues that are crisis-oriented, claims requiring investigative action, or escalations from Senior Leadership or HR. These matters are ones that typically can only be successfully completed with limited time. Balancing time between projects and crisis-response is a critical component for success in the position.
The position reports to the Principal, AWS ER, and the role can be remotely based. This is a full-time position that may require significant travel, up to 35-45% of the time over the course of the year to the various AWS locations, which includes locations throughout the Americas.
• At least eight years direct experience in employee relations, labor relations, or labor/employment law with an emphasis on labor and employee relations work
• Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree, JD, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus
• Experience in designing and delivering successful training programs
• Technically proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint, with ability to become proficient with HTML a plus
• Solid understanding of federal and state employment & labor laws, with some exposure to LATAM and/or Canadian labor laws
• Team player with strong written and oral communication skills; excellent public speaker
• Strong interpersonal and persuasion skills, enabling individual to establish partnerships working with senior leaders and across organizational lines
• Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner
• Highly analytical thinker and problem solver
• Proven attention to detail; extremely organized
• Acts with sense of urgency, bias for action, fast pace, and desire to thrive in a dynamically growing environment
• High-quality judgment and sound decision-making
• Strong project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects to closure
• Confident and innovative thinker; isn't satisfied with "checking the box" or just pulling out "what we did at my last job"
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.