Core AI is an interdisciplinary team on the cutting edge of economics, statistical analysis, and machine learning whose mission is to solve AI and ML problems that have high risk with abnormally high returns. Through our efforts we seek to understand and design Amazon's complex network of buyers and sellers, while also leveraging the strengths of our engineers and scientists to build solutions for some of the toughest business problems here at Amazon.
We are looking for a seasoned principal economist who is able to provide structure, including sourcing, defining, and leveling, around complex and varied business problems. We seek creative thinkers who can combine a strong economic toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who know how to execute and deliver on big ideas.
This role is to work within the Core AI team in two key ways. The first is working with Amazon's Scholar Residency Program, which consists of world-class academic scientists and researchers collaborating with internal partner teams to facilitate the delivery of Scholar led science into engineering systems. The second is to leverage data, engineering, and science on rapid proofs of concept while filling gaps that may arise for both the Scholars program and other Core AI initiatives.
• Work with Scholars and other Core AI teams to consult with internal partner terms on collaboration opportunities and to assess potential for impact.
• Own the development of economic models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation necessary to validate your model.
• Effectively communicate econometric models to business teams and incorporate feedback into project analysis/modeling.
• PhD in Economics or highly related field (Marketing, Finance, Statistics, Math)
• 10+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
• Experience in applied economic analysis and with big data and machine learning or data science
• Coding ability in a scripting language such as R, Python, Matlab, or STATA
• Strong research track record, drives results
• Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
• Effective verbal and written communications skills
• Exhibits business judgment
• Has relentlessly high standards
• Dives deep, thinks big and has convictions