Principal Data Architect, Data Lake & Analytics
- Herndon, VA
Are you a Data Analytics specialist? Do you have Data Warehousing and/or Hadoop experience? Do you like to solve the most complex and high scale (billion + records) data challenges in the world today? Would you like a career that gives you opportunities to help customers and partners use cloud computing to do big new things faster and at lower cost? Do you want to be part of history and transform businesses through cloud computing adoption? Do you like to work on-site in a variety of business environments, leading teams through high impact projects that use the newest data analytic technologies? Would you like a career path that enables you to progress with the rapid adoption of cloud computing?
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we're hiring highly technical cloud computing architects to collaborate with our customers and partners on key engagements. Our consultants will develop and deliver proof-of-concept projects, technical workshops, and support implementation projects. These professional services engagements involve emerging technologies like AI, IoT, and Data Analytics. This role will specifically focus on Data and Analytics capabilities and helping our customers and partners to remove the constraints that prevent our customers from leveraging their data to develop business insights.
At AWS, we are hiring the best Data / Analytics cloud computing consultants, who can help our clients and partners derive business value from Data in the cloud. Our consultants will collaborate with partner and client teams to deliver proof-of-concept projects, conduct topical workshops, and lead implementation projects. These professional services engagements will focus on customer solutions such as HPC, batch/realtime data processing, Machine Learning, Data Analytics and Business intelligence. This role will specifically focus on Data processing capabilities and helping our customers and partners to remove the constraints that prevent our customers from leveraging their data to develop business insights.
Expertise - Collaborate with AWS field sales, pre-sales, training and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use AWS services such as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Data Pipeline, S3, DynamoDB NoSQL, Relational Database Service (RDS), Elastic Map Reduce (EMR) and Amazon Redshift.
Solutions - Deliver on-site technical engagements with partners and customers. This includes participating in pre-sales on-site visits, understanding customer requirements, creating consulting proposals and creating packaged Data service offerings.
Delivery - Engagements include short on-site projects proving the use of AWS services to support new distributed computing solutions that often span private cloud and public cloud services. Engagements will include migration of existing applications and development of new applications using AWS cloud services.
Insights - Work with AWS engineering and support teams to convey partner and customer needs and feedback as input to technology roadmaps. Share real world implementation challenges and recommend new capabilities that would simplify adoption and drive greater value from use of AWS cloud services.
Push the envelope Cloud computing is reducing the historical "IT constraint" on businesses. Imagine bold possibilities and work with our clients and partners to find innovative new ways to satisfy business needs through Data / Business Intelligence cloud computing.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have thirteen employee-led affinity groups, reaching 85,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here. We are a customer-obsessed organizationleaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. As such, this is a customer facing role in a hybrid delivery model. Project engagements include remote delivery methods and onsite engagement that will include travel to customer locations as needed.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
• 12+ years of experience of IT platform implementation in a highly technical and analytical role.
• 5+ years' experience of Data Analytics platform implementation, including 3+ years of hands-on experience in implementation and performance tuning Hadoop/Spark implementations.
• Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment. Leadership and innovation around Data Analytics.
• Experience with analytic solutions applied to the Marketing or Risk needs of enterprises
• Highly technical and analytical, possessing 5 or more years of IT platform implementation experience.
• Understanding of Apache Spark/Hadoop and the Data Analytics ecosystem. Experience with one or more relevant tools (Sqoop, Flume, Kinesis, Kafka, Oozie, Hue, Zookeeper, Ranger, Elasticsearch, Avro).
• Familiarity with one or more SQL-on-Hadoop technology (Hive, Pig, Impala, Spark SQL, Presto).
• Current hands-on implementation experience required
• Ability to travel to client locations to deliver professional services when needed.
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or Math.
• Hands on experience leading large-scale global data warehousing and analytics projects.
• Understanding of database and analytical technologies in the industry including MPP and NoSQL databases, Data Warehouse design, BI reporting and Dashboard development.
• Industry leadership in the fields of database, data warehousing or data sciences.
• Implementation and tuning experience specifically using Amazon Elastic Map Reduce (EMR).
• Implementing AWS services in a variety of distributed computing, enterprise environments.
• Computer Science or Math background preferred.
Customer facing skills to represent AWS well within the customer's environment and drive discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation. Should be able to interact with Chief Marketing Officers, Chief Risk Officers, Chief Technology Officers, and Chief Information Officers, as well as the people within their organizations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at $122,300 per year. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered.
Back to top