Principal Cloud Application Architect
- Charleston, SC
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for highly talented hands on technical architects to help accelerate our growing Application Migration business. This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also using and expanding your skills working hands on with the future of everything.
AWS Professional Services engages in a wide variety of projects for customers and partners, spanning diverse technologies across multiple industries. The Application Migration and Modernization Practice collaborates across the entire AWS organization to deliver the best solutions for customers, connect with AWS product and service teams, and drive feature innovation based upon customer needs. As trusted customer advocates, the Practice helps organizations understand best practices around advanced cloud-based solutions, and how to migrate and/or re-develop existing workloads in the cloud. You will help shape, execute, and deliver solutions for a broad range of customer use cases primarily from large enterprise customers.
This is not a pure consultant role, nor is it a pure selling role. It is an individual with a unique application modernization and cloud native application development expertise, hands-on building, coupled with cross-industry business acumen, including a heavy dose of passion for continued knowledge acquisition and growth, obsession for customers, and their success using AWS that will align well with the desired outcomes to be produced.
In this role as an experienced cloud architect/developer, you will work with our customers in architecting, developing and re-engineering applications that can fully leverage the AWS Cloud. You will work on a variety of game changing projects, at the forefront of application development and cloud technology adoption. Achieving success will require coordination across many internal AWS teams and external AWS Partners, with impact and visibility at the highest levels of the company.
We are looking for hands on architects/developers who are passionate about:
• Helping customers architect scalable, highly available application solutions that leverage AWS services;
• Architecting and developing customer applications to be cloud optimized;
• Working as a technical leader alongside customer business, development and infrastructure teams;
• Providing deep software development knowledge with respect cloud architecture, design patterns and programming;
• Advising and implementing AWS best practices;
• Working as both an infrastructure and application development specialist;
• Agile software development and DevOps; and
• Implementing DevOps practices such as infrastructure as code, continuous integration and automated deployment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have thirteen employee-led affinity groups, reaching 85,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here. We are a customer-obsessed organizationleaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. As such, this is a customer facing role in a hybrid delivery model. Project engagements include remote delivery methods and onsite engagement that will include travel to customer locations as needed.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
This is a customer-facing role. You will be required to travel to client locations to deliver professional services when needed.
• BS level technical degree or equivalent professional or military experience
• Cloud experience
• 8+ years of experience as a technical specialist in Customer-facing roles, leading custom, enterprise-level, multi-million dollar application builds.
• Exposure to Agile development methodologies
• Hands-on experience with architecting and automated provisioning (IaC), configuration management for infrastructure and applications
• Hands-on experience with envisioning, designing, building and managing release systems, code merging and promotion, and CI/CD workflows and tools
• Experience establishing, implementing, and delivering using Agile practices
• Computer Science or Engineering background.
• Demonstrated success as a software developer, application architect, release manager, product manager, CTO, or consultant working with various platforms.
• Experience with architecting, designing and developing applications on the AWS platform.
• Experience with designing and building applications using container and serverless technologies.
• Experience with architecting highly available systems that utilize load balancing, horizontal scalability and high availability.
• Good exposure to Agile software development and DevOps practices such as Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Continuous Integration, automated deployment and configuration management.
• Experience with configuration management platforms (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible).
• Strong practical application development experience on Linux and Windows-based systems.
• Experience with presenting at public events such as technology conferences, hackathons, etc.
• Experience working directly with customers, partners or third-party developers.
• Experience with blogging or writing technical articles or contributing to an open source project for new and existing technologies or application architecture and design.
• Participant in speaking engagements, published work, published blogs, and/or acquired patents, demonstrating industry notoriety.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at $122,300 per year. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered.
Back to top