Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses. As a core product offering within our advertising portfolio, Sponsored Products (SP) helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The SP team's primary goals are to help shoppers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth.
The Principal Scientist is responsible for innovation aimed at evolving our machine learning solutions, inventing new shopper and advertiser experiences, and accelerating the pace of innovation. From influencing customer facing shopping experiences to helping suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising, this role will be powering the engine of one the fastest growing businesses at Amazon!
As a Principal Applied Scientist on this team you will
Partner with executives and senior leaders to identify and solve significantly complex problems that require scientific innovation.
Drive the strategic direction and influence all aspects of the business.
Deliver end-to-end machine learning solutions that have org-wide impact.
Be the recognized science expert, driving innovation and adoption of state-of-the-art scientific approaches.
Lead technical efforts within this team and across other teams.
Build machine learning models, perform proof-of-concept, experiment, optimize, and deploy your models into production.
Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis, machine-learning model development, model validation and serving.
Work closely with software engineers to assist in productionizing ML models.
Research new machine learning approaches.
Recruit Applied Scientists to the team and act as a mentor.
To be successful in this role you will need proven experience in defining a long-term science vision, driven fundamentally from the needs of customers, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This is a role that combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus and business understanding. In the immediate term, this role requires (a) addressing principles of allocation function and pricing in ad marketplace auctions, (b) developing efficient algorithms for multiparameter optimization and AI control methods to find operating points for the ad marketplace auctions and to evolve them, and (c) develop science talent around learning, Economics and optimization for WW ads.
Impact and Career Growth:
- You will invent new shopper and advertiser experiences, and accelerate the pace of Machine Learning and Optimization.
- Influence customer facing shopping experiences to helping suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising, this role will be powering the engine of one the fastest growing businesses at Amazon.
- Define a long-term science vision for our ad marketplace, driven fundamentally from the needs of our customers, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams.
- This is a role that combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus and business understanding.
- Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales.
- Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products.
- We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
- PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, or related disciplines.
- 10+ years of post PhD experience, delivering highly effect machine learning solutions that solve real-world problems at very big scale.
- Experience with online advertising products.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Expert in machine learning, statistics, and experiment design.
- Expert in taking machine learning solutions into production at big scale
- Experience hiring and building teams of applied scientists.
- Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.
- Effective and crisp verbal and written communication skills with non-technical and technical audiences.
- Experience working with very large real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data.
- Demonstrated successful industrial experience, drives results.
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
- Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business, product, and technology very well.
- Exhibits excellent judgment.
- Hires great people. Develops great people.
- Has relentlessly high standards.
- Expects, enables and requires innovation of all teams.
- Thinks big and has convictions.
- Delivers results..