Principal Applied Scientist
- Boston, MA
Come be a pioneer! Amazon Echo devices and Alexa are changing the way people all over the world are interacting with computers. We are creating a world where access to information, control of your smart home, and communication with the people you care about most is always just a word away. Just ask Alexa. We are not just imagining the future we are building it.
Alexa Knowledge ARC team builds informational experiences which delight users, publishers and contributors. The solutions we develop include the knowledge presentation services for delivering multimodal responses to Alexa users for their questions, a platform for acquiring published question and answer pairs at web scale, and a community which allows Amazon users to contribute answers to Alexa's growing knowledge-base. We are applying ML/AI to our solutions for making them intelligent and personalized for our customer needs. We are building a small applied science team that can work horizontally with all the verticals within Knowledge ARC org to take these solutions the next level powered by world class applied ML/AI. The science team will be at the front and center of our future success.
We are looking for an experienced Applied Scientist to help build and mentor a applied science teams. You will be a proven leader in the applied ML/AI space with experience building production models for solving variety of the complex business problems. It is a green field role, where you will come in and will (1) establish the vision, (2) build the roadmap, and (3) build a small team of scientists. You will be responsible for the design, development, testing, and deployment of algorithms and improvements, inclusive of utilization of natural language processing, supporting Alexa Knowledge ARC team's various initiatives. You will be expected to:
• Manage the design, development and evaluation of innovative, scalable models and algorithms
• Manage cross-functional projects
• Work with engineering teams to manage the integration of successful models and algorithms in complex, real-time production systems at very large scale
• Provide thought leadership and build science roadmaps that align with Knowledge ARC org's vision and goals
• Identify best practices/latest machine learning models across Amazon globally including Alexa AI
• Communicate effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from business, science, and engineering backgrounds
• Support the career development of your team members
• Advanced degree (e.g., M.S. or PhD) in computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics or relevant discipline
• 7+ years of professional experience in predictive modeling and analysis
• 5+ years of experience in managing a team of applied scientists
• 5+ years of experience in building large-scale machine learning and AI solutions at Internet scale
• 5+ years of experience with, at least, one model programming language such as Java, Python, Scala, C++
• Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Amazon EMR, Amazon Redshift or Amazon Athena
• Ability to engage with academic community on applied science research.
• Proven track in leading, mentoring, and growing teams of scientists
• Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data and to communicate high-level concepts effectively to internal and external stakeholders
Back to top