Principal Applied Scientist
- Palo Alto, CA
The Amazon Search team creates powerful, customer-focused search solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, Amazon Search services go to work. We design, develop, and deploy high performance, fault-tolerant distributed search systems used by millions of Amazon customers every day.
We are looking for a tenured researcher to lead an inter-disciplinary team with scientists and engineers to build large scale machine learning (deep learning) models to improve search for our customers. These models will be trained on a variety of textual and visual features, and will improve both recall and precision of our search results. These models will scale to multiple languages and countries, and will provide inference within a few milliseconds latency. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be a trailblazer at the intersection of cutting edge science and engineering to impact millions of customers. As a hands-on leader of this team, you will be responsible for defining key research questions, identifying relevant data, adopt or propose innovative machine learning solutions, conduct rigorous experiments, publish results and work with the engineering team to deploy these solutions. As a strategic leader, you will identify investment opportunities, develop long term strategies, and propose, prioritize and deliver on goals. You will also participate in organizational planning, hiring, mentorship and leadership development. You will be technically fearless and build scalable science and engineering solutions.
Joining this team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), Earth's most customer-centric company one of the world's leading internet companies. We provide a highly customer-centric, team-oriented environment in our offices located in Palo Alto, California.
• PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, or a related quantitative field
• 10+ years industry experience building successful production software systems
• 7+ years of applied research experience
• Experience with machine learning technologies, Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing ( NLP), information retrieval and/or related applications
• Proven ability to implement, operate, and deliver results via innovation at large scale
• Experience in modern programming languages (Python, Java, C++, C)
• Experience communicating with executives and non-technical leaders
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, statistics and system design
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in Natural Language Processing, Speech Recognition, Computer Vision or relevant field.
• Extensive experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
• Expertise on a broad set of ML approaches and techniques, ranging from Artificial Neural Networks to Bayesian Non-Parametrics methods
• Expert in more than one more major programming languages (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar)
• Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high commercial impact
• Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting
• Proven track in leading, mentoring and growing teams of scientists (teams of five or more scientist
• 10+ years of industry experience in applying Machine Learning/Deep Learning to Information Retrieval or related fields.
Back to top