Policy Program Manager
Interested in Amazon devices like the Echo and Dot? Are you excited by the challenge and sense of ownership that comes from leading projects at Amazonian scale? Do you enjoy working in an fast-paced environment, solving complex operations and technical problems by delivering innovative solutions? If so, then we want to talk to you!
We are the team that manage the skills catalog across all Amazon devices and are seeking an energetic Program Manager to work on owning digital catalog content policy for the Alexa Skills Kit. The right person for this role will have solid experience delivering successful projects, managing deadlines and risks across multiple global teams, communicating effectively to stakeholders and closely with the cross-functional teams to deliver scalable programs and launch cool new devices and features to global customers. Our environment is very fast-paced and requires someone who is flexible, energetic, a "doer", biased for action, very detail-oriented, holds high personal standards and comfortable tracking many threads across many teams.
As Program Manager, you'll own end-to-end project delivery for Alexa Content Policy and coordinate across multiple global, cross-functional teams to make things happen. You'll deliver results when faced with ambiguous circumstances and roadblocks. Your judgment and intuition are right, a lot, and you know when to ask the right questions.
As a Program Manager you will:
- Focus on projects for a global program - Alexa Content Policy and Catalog Security
- Deliver moderately-complex medium to large scale projects from initiation through delivery.
- Gather requirements from appropriate business owners, write clear and detailed functional specifications, prioritize features, and drive technical scoping as needed in collaboration with technical program manager.
- Model and design projects with future global road map and constraints in mind.
- Manage the creation of policies, tool feature prototypes and operational process improvements.
- Serve as the primarily escalation point for Alexa Policy team members, developers and internal business partners.
- Focus on medium to large, cross-functional projects that serve major parts of the business.
- Lead projects that are business critical, and global in nature. May lead other program managers for large projects.
- Deliver complex medium to large scale projects from initiation through delivery.
- Effectively manage cross functional projects, dependencies and bottlenecks, provide escalations management, anticipate and make trade-offs, balance the business need versus technical constraints and minimize business benefit while building great customer experience.
- Recommend process improvements to the way projects are scoped, built, tested and deployed across the company
- May set and/or collaborate on business objectives in order to deliver best product/feature or system/process with most efficient use of resources and technologies.
Seattle is a great place to work, and a great place to live. Amazon's corporate offices are centered in Seattle's South Lake Union district, just blocks from the Lake Union waterfront, the new Museum of History and Industry, the Space Needle and Pike's Place Market.
As an international hub, Seattle has a diverse population with citizens from hundreds of cities and dozens of nations around the world.
The greater Seattle area has a wide range of communities that appeal to all types of residents, as well as a vibrant arts community, professional sports teams, and access to outdoor recreation in all seasons.
Seattle is also easy to get around. Public transportation by bus, light rail, and commuter train is readily available (we are three blocks from Westlake station), and the city is friendly to pedestrians and cyclists.
- Bachelor's degree
- Program manager with 4+ years of experience managing complex projects with aggressive schedules and scarce resources.
- Experience managing cross functional projects, dependencies and bottlenecks
- Experience with public policy, or content policy strategy experience in a technology industry
- Experience with Excel, Word, and data analysis.
- Strong process definition and optimization skills; proven ability to define effective, efficient, and massively scalable processes for digital products and services
- Strong expertise in risk management, content policy strategy/or public policy skills
- Good people management skills; comfort mentoring teams with 5 or more employees
- Excellent writer who can synthesize multiple opinions into comprehensive policy proposals
- Excellent customer experience intuition; demonstrated success in delivering a world-class customer experience (ideally in the digital content industry)
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; strong bias towards data-based decision making and comfort with pro-forma financial and operational analysis
- Excellent communication and persuasion skills; demonstrated success building buy-in for an innovative and bold vision
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts, schedule trade-offs and new opportunities with technical team members
- Nimbleness and comfort with ambiguity; comfort responding quickly to rapidly evolving threats and opportunities
- Strong bias for action; ability to juggle multiple priorities and create a sense of urgency in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Street smarts; willingness to roll up the sleeves and do whatever is necessary to meet team goals
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams through influence versus direct management; excellent interpersonal skills
- Digital content management experience
- Business process operations experience
- Quantitative analytical abilities and proven problem solving skills.
- Experience in launching products internationally while working with remote teams.
- Track record of being detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to self–motivate and follow through on projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- MBA, JD or Masters in Risk Management is preferred
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top