Playback Services - Software Development Engineer (Amazon Video)
Amazon Video is disrupting traditional media with an ever-increasing selection of movies, TV shows, Emmy Award winning original content, add-on subscriptions including HBO, and live events like Thursday Night Football. Our architecture operates at Amazon-scale, engineered for reliability, scalability, and performance. We continuously raise the bar for playback reliability, video start time, and image quality. Amazon Video runs on thousands of device types in over 200 territories worldwide.
The Playback Services team designs, implements, and operates the customer-facing services that power playback for all of Amazon Video. Every server-side action that happens when our customers hit play is powered by our systems.
Our architecture serves billions of requests per day, with obsessively high reliability and low operational overhead. We leverage Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies including EC2, S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, Kinesis, IoT, CloudFront, and internal AWS incubator technologies.
Successful candidates have a solid background in modern programming languages, distributed system design, service-oriented architecture, and high scalability. Experience in big data and machine learning is a plus. Equally important is the ability to multi-task, invent, create reliable and maintainable code, and find creative, scalable solutions to difficult problems.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of product development experience in consumer-focused companies
- 5+ years of technical experience as software developer, or related role
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience developing in at least one of Java, C++, Python
- Experience with critical, 24x7 systems
- Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
- Experience developing web services, or other large scale distributed systems, that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Vet
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top