Penetration Testing Security Engineer, AWS
Since early 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services thereby gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. AWS customers can take advantage of Amazon.com's global computing infrastructure which is the backbone of Amazon.com's multi-billion dollar retail business. AWS provides scalable, reliable, and secure distributed computing infrastructure that has been honed for over a decade. For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
The AWS IT Security team is responsible for the security and availability of all cloud and mobile products and services offered by AWS. This includes cloud services such as EC2 and S3 as well as consumer offerings like Amazon Appstore and Cloud Drive. Our team works with development teams to design and build secure solutions, participate in and coordinate penetration testing activities, and generally solve security challenges at massive scale.
AWS Security is looking for a Senior Penetration Testing Security Engineer to help ensure that our services, applications, and websites are secured against the latest threats. You will be on a team responsible for conducting manual penetration testing, creating/maintaining automated penetration testing solutions, documenting penetration testing methodologies, and helping service teams add penetration testing tools to their development processes. This position will provide you with a challenging opportunity.
A Security Engineer II at Amazon is expected to be strong in multiple domains. This is a leadership role within the AWS IT Security team and will be sought out for advice on technical and business issues. Efficient time management skills are required along with the ability to deliver results in the face of uncertainty. A Security Engineer II will proactively share knowledge across the Amazon community and will be a key company resource in one or more of the core areas of security. They will lead security reviews of large Amazon projects while setting standards and defining best practices for the AWS IT Security team.
Engineers in this role must show exemplary judgment in making technical trade-offs between short versus long term security and business goals. They must also demonstrate resilience and navigate difficult situations with composure and tact. Conflicts should be addressed by listening, finding the best way forward and persuading one's colleagues. Successful engineers in this role will regularly analyze their own performance with a critical eye. A broad understanding of the AWS business and its interconnections is required. This position will also provide training, advice, and mentorship to other engineers throughout AWS.
This role will be expected to provide thought leadership for the organization as you invent and innovate in the course of your duties.
- Penetration testing & vulnerability research
- Recommendation of threat mitigations
- Produce high quality penetration testing reports
- Projects and research work as needed
- Security training and outreach to internal development teams
- Security guidance documentation
- Security tool development
- Security metrics delivery and improvements
- Assistance with recruiting activities
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with vulnerability testing and auditing techniques
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, and application security
- Experience with red teams or CTF (Capture The Flag)
- Experience with driving large, company-wide initiatives
- Expert level understanding in at least one core area of Information Security
- Experience using various penetration testing tools (such as, BurpSuite, Metasploit, Nessus, etc.) on Windows and Linux
- Experience with multiple programming languages (such as, Java, C++, C#), especially scripting languages (such as, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.)
- Experience with reverse engineering
- Understanding of mobile device security
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable teamwork skills and resourcefulness
- Ability to make concrete progress in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid "analysis paralysis")
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Experience providing training and mentorship
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top