Penetration Testing Engineer
- London, United Kingdom
We are looking for a Penetration Testing Engineer who has a strong passion for security-at-scale. You will be on a team responsible for the delivery of continuous assessments. You will be asked to solve complex technology problems, build tools to automate your way out of manual efforts, and influence the way Amazon services respond to and mitigate threats.
Amazon security is on the cutting edge of many security issues for a wide variety of platforms and technologies including cloud services, Internet of things (IoT), identity and access management, mobile devices, virtualization and custom hardware, all operating at massive scale.
We are looking for a Security Engineer to help ensure our services, applications, and websites are designed and implemented to the highest security standards. You will be responsible for web application, network, and operations penetration testing. You will be responsible for automating repetitive tasks. You will be responsible for influencing Amazon services through the creation of threat mitigation plans. You will work directly with internal teams to solve challenging software problems.
You must produce results in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge, and foster constructive dialogue and drive resolution when faced with disagreement. You are considered a technical leader on your team. You work efficiently and routinely deliver the right things with limited guidance. Your work focuses on ambiguous problem areas in existing or new hardware and software initiatives. You take a long term view of your team's processes & software, understanding how it fits into the business. You proactively fix architectural deficiencies and/or propose larger project scopes, which may require the work of a team. You split that work into parallel tasks that can be performed by you and others and then reassembled successfully.
Amazon's Leadership Principles of "Dive Deep", "Earn Trust", "Deliver Results", and "Invent and Simplify" will be called upon daily. A successful candidate will need a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills, as well as the ability to handle a mix of complex decisions.
• Contribute to the design, implementation, and execution of security review and test methodologies for the recurring and holistic testing of a critical group of our production services. Ensure remediation of risks by partnering with service teams.
• Perform design review, threat modelling, security review, penetration testing, and red teaming on production systems for our services.
• Scope and perform penetration testing & vulnerability research of complex proprietary software and hardware for our services.
• Work closely with the Amazon Security teams to develop large scale, cutting edge, testing, monitoring, remediation, and analytics solutions.
• Work closely with other internal development teams across Amazon Security to create comprehensive security tooling and functional improvements at scale.
• Demonstrate "exceptional" judgment, integrity, business acumen, and communication skills.
• Prepare and present detailed, written technical information for internal and external audiences.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are looking for excellent pentest engineer. In an interview and in the role you'd have to:
• script your way out of problems,
• test web applications and services,
• clearly explain the mitigation of your finding to blue team and product owners,
• audit code well enough to find bugs,
• be able to give design suggestions, like crypto and infra, when asked,
• test infrastructure,
• validate issues that exist and verify that the suggested fix works, and
• learn new things quickly.
• Passionate about internet security issues and the threat landscape for popular software & services with the ability and desire to root-cause, mitigate, and explore deeper.
• Domain expertise in at least 2 of: security architecture and engineering, communication and network security, identity and access management (IAM), security assessment and testing, cryptography, and software development security.
• A data-driven and quantitative mentality--you excel in supporting ideas with available evidence.
• Experience with the design and implementation of technical security controls at the business division level.
• Experience performing or supporting Red Team engagements with an understanding of a holistic assessment
• Experience with Amazon web services or similar enterprise cloud computing platforms.
• Experience with full-stack (Linux / Unix) software architectures from UI to infrastructure.
• Experience with serverless architectures, and common virtualization techniques (hypervisors/containers/jails) and escapes/exploits from these environments.
• Experience with micro-service, API-based agent, or service oriented software architectures.
• Operations experience with CI/CD development or managing distributed systems
• Web service assessment experience with authentication controls, session management, access controls, logic flaws, injection vulnerabilities, request smuggling, cloud privilege escalation, DOS attacks
• Experience using boto3
• Participation in Bug Bounty programs
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top