Optical Network Engineer - AWS Infrastructure
Amazon.com is looking for best in class Optical Engineers and Senior Optical Engineers to help architect/design, operate and build one of the world's largest and most complex networks. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. As we expand at a tremendous rate it is our responsibility to maintain that quality and reliability. We look for innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand, while driving complex issues to resolution.
As an Optical Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
- Architect and design the future of the Amazon DWDM network
- Be responsible for the operation of our global DWDM infrastructure
- Build and rollout our global DWDM networks
- Drive scaling current DWDM designs to meet the demand of our customers
- Create processes that help operate and build our DWDM network
- Work closely with other Networking departments on new designs
- Evaluate alternative equipment and drive commercial tender process
- Work with in-house software engineers in developing additional in-house monitoring and reporting tools on the DWDM platforms
- Ensure that the DWDM network adheres to the defined network standards
- Review and implement changes on the DWDM network
- Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our DWDM network quality and reliability
- Troubleshoot complex problems and develop innovative solutions day to day on our network
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
- Experience with optical technologies
- Experience with SNMP, TL1 or XML-based management protocols
- Experience with major DWDM platforms
- Experience with optical planning and modelling tools
- Experience with the rollout of DWDM networks
- Experience with optic fiber cable specifications (both external and internal fiber cabling)
- A Bachelor's Degree in technical discipline or equivalent experience
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of troubleshooting complex network problems and delivering innovative solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
- Candidates should have several years' industry experience in a similar environment.
- Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
- Strong Unix skills and the ability to script/program in a machine based language are desirable.
- Knowledge of L2 switching and L3 routing is desirable.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous technical interview process.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top