Amazon.com is looking for best in class Optical Engineers to help operate and support one of the world's largest and most complex networks. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. As we expand at a tremendous rate it is our responsibility to maintain that quality and reliability. We look for innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand, while driving complex issues to resolution.
As an Optical Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
• Be responsible for the operational support of our global DWDM infrastructure
• Drive current DWDM designs to meet the demand of our customers
• Create processes that help operate and support our DWDM network
• Work closely with other Networking team on operational escalations and support
• Work with in-house software engineers in developing additional in-house monitoring and reporting tools on the DWDM platforms
• Ensure that the DWDM network adheres to the defined network standards
• Review and implement changes on the DWDM network
• Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our DWDM network quality and reliability
• Troubleshoot complex problems and develop innovative solutions day to day on our network
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• 3+ years of experience in a Optical Network Operations/Deployment/Design role
• 3+ years of experience troubleshooting DWDM/Optical systems
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is mandatory.
• Candidates should have several years' industry experience in a similar environment.
• Excellent and in-depth knowledge of optical technologies
• Good working knowledge of IP networking fundamentals
• Knowledge of SNMP, TL1 or XML-based management protocols
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major DWDM platforms
• Experience with optical planning and modeling tools
• Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
• Experience with the operational support of large DWDM networks
• Strong Unix skills and the ability to script/program in a language are desirable.
• Good knowledge of L2 switching and L3 routing is desirable
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.