Operations Leader, AMZL Global Expansion
The goal of Amazon Logistics is to build a world-class Last Mile Operations. It is a new and aggressively growing business, both in size and scope. The Global Expansion Team brings Amazon Logistics to the 'rest of the world.' The team develops the comprehensive country strategy, launches operations and new products, and sets up the local team for long-term success.
We are looking for an L6 Operations Leader to join the Operations Subject Matter Experts division. This team will use their operational expertise to work with local teams to design and execute the last mile operations strategy. We are specifically looking for an individual who can do a temporary 3-6 month relocation to Tokyo, Japan in 2017. In general, the job is 50%-75% international travel.
Key responsibilities include:
#1) Design the Regional Operations Strategy
- Work with topology and business experts to build the "go to market" strategy including which types of last mile delivery channels to leverage, what volume to go after, and estimate performance and
#2) Test the Operational Solution & New Technology
- Use creative thinking to quickly test and validate all assumptions. Could involve running a pilot delivery station or simulating processes to conduct time studies or coming up with a no-tech or low-tech way to test new ideas quickly.
#3) Stabilize Operations & Build Expansion Plan
- Work with local operations to build their standard processes and hit all costs, quality, and scaling goals.
#4) Local Liaison and Amazon Logistics Ambassador
- Conduct frequent trips and visits in the launch country and spend time on education, mentoring the local operations leaders and presenting the Amazon Logistics brand and vision statement to the partner business teams. This is a critical pillar of helping the country sustainably take over running operations and the Amazon Logistics growth.
#5) Transition Operations Management to Local Ops Team
- Build a transition plan so that the local teams are successful running their business without support form the Global Expansion Team
The successful candidate will thrive in a constantly evolving business environment and work well with cross-functional teams to help deliver a world-class delivery capability. This role offers an opportunity to make business-critical decisions that will minimize network costs while continuing to increase the speed at which we deliver our customer's orders. This individual will work with teams on a global scale across Finance, Retail, Technology and Field Operators to help deliver key strategic initiatives.
- 3+ years at Amazon, operating a delivery station
- Proved leader in driving consistency in process & quality. Examples can include:
o Lead an under-performing DS and turned it around
o DS hits performance metrics year-round and during peak
o Data oriented management style. Understand all available metrics dashboards and tools.
o Shown can establish operational goals and priorities, without direction, to deliver quick results and improvements
- Proven leadership in developing and implementing new, innovative operational ideas & initiatives
o Developed 5-10 innovative ideas for improving DS operations and customer/driver experience
o Evaluated Ideas for business justification:
- Experience conducting time and motion studies, value stream/process mapping, and root cause analysis
- Experience performing cost/benefit analysis, analyzing risk/reward tradeoffs, and making decisions
- Experience training others, influencing in collaborative environments with indirect ownership, and working in cross-functional teams including non-operations departments (ex. tech, finance, CS etc.)
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable communicating with VP-level decision makers
- Experience working in non-US markets
- Experience working in multiple different DS operations at Amazon
- Experience working in middle mile, FC outbound and other legs of the supply chain to give end-to-end picture
- Technology Experience in either current or prior roles. Can include:
- Role working in IT/Tech development
- Role serving as a Technical Product/Program management
- Data analytics skills
- Key high-profile projects where working with technology or product partners
- Project experience building technical requirements for a customer set
- Candidates: Internal Only
- Permanent Location: Seattle, WA (Temporary Location Tokyo, Japan)
- Relocation: International Relocation Available
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top