The AWS Networking organization is hiring, and we're looking for talented and highly motivated Network Development Manager (NDM) to help build and scale one of the world's largest and complex networks. Within Networking, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stakes challenges. As a leader of one of our network deployment teams, you will play a part in deploying and scaling networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, and can never constrain growth or innovation. If working on the networks that support the world's largest cloud provider and Earth's most customer-centric company interests you, please read on!
First, a bit of background:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 100 locations, which span nearly 70 cities in 30 different countries.
This position will be responsible for helping lead a global organization charged with deployment and scaling for the AWS Direct Connect service. The ideal candidate is a seasoned, mature engineering leader who is comfortable building high performing teams and developing staff. The ideal candidate prioritizes well, communicates clearly, and understands how to drive a high level of focus and operational excellence with a strong team. Candidates must have a proven track record of building a culture centered on customer focus, efficient execution, high quality, and solid deployment practices. AWS in general, and this business in particular, operates at very large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion for operational excellence is essential. Candidates must be comfortable with ambiguity and eager to embrace ownership and accountability. Leading teams in this type of fast-paced environment requires a high degree of autonomy and provides a wide range of opportunities to influence the productivity and morale of your teams. Attitude and work ethic are key ingredients for success in this role: the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, work fast and smart, and adapt and iterate quickly.
As Network Development manager you will be responsible for leading a team of 6-8 junior and senior network engineers that has proven it can deliver important features for our customers. In addition, you will be responsible for end-to-end delivery of one of the key areas of our Network; including capacity management, implementation, automation, standards, process management and change control. At Amazon, we ask our technical leaders to be strong engineers who can dive deep and get involved in addition to being strong managers. To be successful in this role you will need an established background in managing and leading deployment teams, interacting with enterprise customers, and building cloud-scale networks.
As the leader of the Direct Connect engineering, deployment and scaling team, you will have the opportunity to:
• Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun. Enjoy being a really great people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class net team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and you must be awesome at day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
• Enjoy building large scale networks for demanding customers. Drive the operations and continuous improvement that allows AWS and Amazon retail systems and other mission critical workloads to function without interruption. Identify areas of improvement in our existing frameworks, tools, and processes and strive to make them better. You will enjoy keeping your technical skills reasonably current and can contribute meaningfully to architecture discussions.
• Have strong project management experience. The successful candidate will partner with Product Managers to create product roadmaps for the team. This will include helping innovate and inventing new value-added services. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects.
• Know how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. He/she will excel at using metrics, monitoring and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes and performance of the team.
This position has a high level of visibility so you will need to be a strong leader, and be able to communicate clearly and compellingly at all levels of the company.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or relevant degree/experience
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 5+ years people management experience or relevant leadership experience
• 3+ years managing managers (leader of leaders)
• Knowledge of major networking protocols, topology design, network hardware and device configuration.
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Women / Minority / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age