Network Development Engineer III - AWS Border Network Engineering
- Columbus, GA
AWS Border Network Engineering (BNE) organization is hiring, and we're looking for great Senior Network Engineers to join our team. Within Border Network, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stakes challenges. Our teams design, deploy and operate all aspects of connectivity to/from Amazon and the outside world. As a senior member of our Engineering team, you will play a leading role in designing and architect networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, while continually lowering costs to benefit our customers. If working on the networks that support the world's largest cloud provider and Earth's most customer-centric company interests you, this opportunity is a fit for you!
For this role, we are seeking a Senior Network Development Engineer to work with our Backbone Operations and Engineering team with responsibility for maintaining, designing, deploying and operating Amazon's Backbone, at massive scale. Our Backbone network provides available, unconstrained access to Amazon services over zero loss and the lowest latency connectivity possible. Engineers in this organization define the hardware platforms, physical topologies, routing architectures and software control systems to achieve maximum performance and availability while always looking to drive down our cost. These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, but still at an early stage and working on new initiatives where an engineer at any level makes day-to-day and strategic decisions that carry a huge amount of responsibility and significant technical and business impact. If you're up the challenge, we'd love to hear from you!
As a Network Development Engineer at Amazon, your core job responsibility is to design network topologies, architectures, and services that solve for many requirements. We listen to our customers (both internal and external), but we also listen to our teams. Our Engineers contribute materially to each team's road-map, and help define what's most important. Together, you and your leadership team will determine the projects that best support your team's mission. You will have the resources and time necessary to understand, scope, and deliver these solutions. The primary area of responsibility you and your team will have is to design ahead of customer or technology needs, always predicting and solving for problems that have not yet occurred. This takes the form of creating High Level Design (HLD) documents, working with vendors or internal stakeholders to influence technology road-maps, constructing and testing your solutions, and providing support to the teams that will deploy and operate these designs. Our teams also serve as technical escalation points in support of our very talented operations teams.
We're interested in engineers with experience having designed, operated, and implemented networks of very large scale, and those well versed in the operation of the Internet routing hierarchy. Candidates should understand the theory behind and have deep operational knowledge of routing protocols with particular emphasis on their impact to hardware platforms. We're looking for those who have pushed platforms to their limits, understand how to work within the limitations imposed by third-party software and how to avoid them through your designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelor's Degree in a technology related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree
• 8+ years professional experience working in large scale networking environments.
• Experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, ISIS and/or OSPF
• Experience with network operating systems such as Cisco IOS and Junos.
• Experience working in a Linux/Unix environment
• Experience in automation via Bash/shell scripting and Perl/Python programming.
• Candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of industry experience in a similar environment.
• Background with high availability, high performance compute, large-scale networks and network design and architecture is highly preferred
• Any software or automation skills a plus, Unix/Linux skills and the ability to code in in any of Python, Perl, shell, C or C++ a plus
• Expertise with Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and distributed system
• Demonstrated experience automating and managing networks (automated provisioning, remote configuration, traffic control, software defined networks etc.. )
Expert-level certifications (e.g. CCIE, JNCIE) a huge plus.
Back to top