Network Development Engineer III
- Seattle, WA
Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon Web Services is searching for hands-on Senior Network Engineer to join our network team that owns critical Amazon Web Services IP networks for our public sector regions. The team drives engineering, implementation, scalability, operations, reliability, and sustainability of these next-generation networks and works on innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand. Position location can be Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA.
Our ideal candidate is hands-on, autonomous, detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills, and has a successful track record of engineering, delivering, and optimizing simple, scalable solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment; with geographically diverse teams is essential. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the industry and help shape the direction of one of the largest and fastest growing cloud networks in the world.
• As a senior Network Engineer working in AWS Networking you will have end to end ownership (design, engineering, implementation, operations escalation) of our current and newly developing IP networks
• Lead the engineering and evolution of highly available ultra-scale networks, driving them from concept to launch, and beyond
• Define and influence strategy within and outside the team
• Lead project teams to deliver impactful benefits to our customers
• Work closely with our software developers to automate network deployment and operations
• Drive operational excellence projects to improve network performance and reliability
• Troubleshoot complex problems and develop innovative solutions
• Hiring, mentoring and coaching engineers
• Review and implement changes on the network
Physical and Other Requirements:
• Must be willing to support an off-hours operations escalation pager rotation.
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data center/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Position may be located in either Herndon, VA 20170 or Seattle, WA 98101. Relocation assistance would be offered (pending qualification guidelines).
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 8+ years in IP networking technologies such as - BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, TCP, SLB, Linux/scripting (such as Python, Perl, or Ruby, etc), network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
• Experience leading planning, engineering, capacity management, operations, and/or enhancement of industry leading IP network solutions
• Experience writing code to develop networking automation software.
• Bachelor's degree in Networking, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline, or Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
• Ability to lead projects and project teams
• Ability to deliver complex network projects and driving operations excellence
• Ability to work in a Linux/Unix environment.
• Proficiency in creating software to automate network deployment or operations
• Ability to drive and manage customer impacting network events.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and collaborative environment.
• Ability to prioritize and time manage effectively.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
If you're interested in learning more about this role and others that are similar, please join AWS recruiters at our next virtual open house:
For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com.
Back to top