The Internet Edge organization is looking for a Network Development Engineer to join our Global Internet Capacity Scaling team. Network Development Engineers drive the stability and sustainability of these next-generation networks and to discover innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand.
If you like to work with new technologies and optimizing existing technology have experience participating in network/systems support for a large-scale enterprise or service provider environment, we'd like to meet you. Your work will play a key role in driving the stability and sustainability of next-generation IP networks.
Network Development Engineers perform high quality network and/or systems operations, deployments, scaling, technology refresh, sustaining engineering, best practices application, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation.
- Create and implement changes on the network.
- Automate tools that allow us to scale at higher volume.
- Lead network projects in the areas of network sustaining engineering, network deployment/implementation, network scaling, technology refresh, best practices application, and/or network optimization.
- Sustain Amazon Web Services' next generation networks for significant AWS customers by providing critical network support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve large-scale networking events.
- Operate and troubleshoot network routing, inter connectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools.
- Drive and support innovation from Top of Rack to the Network Border and everything in between.
- Partner with our broader Network/Infrastructure organization in the areas of network engineering, configurations standards, and tools.
- Work closely with our Network/Systems/Software Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, as well as assist with deployment and sustaining of networking software tools.
- Maintain standards across the networking toolset and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
- Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
- Collaborate with highest tier escalation engineers/resolvers.
- Create and review documentation and process regarding network implementation/deployments, recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
- Work in a 24x5 team on call rotation (weekend on-call only for emergency), with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs
- Manage customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
Within AWS Networking, the Internet Edge organization is responsible for connecting Amazon to the global Internet. With connections to thousands of unique external networks in hundreds of locations across the world, our mission is to deliver an Internet connectivity experience that sets the global standard for performance, availability, security, and cost, making Amazon the clear choice for our customers' needs. Our team provides high-performing Internet connectivity for a wide range of use cases, such as retail (amazon.com), video streaming (Prime Video), content delivery (CloudFront), DNS (Route53), AWS services (such as EC2/S3), consumer devices (such as FireTV/Kindle/Echo), and more.
The pay range for this position in New Jersey & Colorado is $136,000 - $184,000 (yr); however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
- 3+ years experience in a network focused hands-on technical role working with IP routing protocols/technologies and platforms in large scale data center and/or WAN network environments.
- 3+ years experience developing engineering, deployment, or operations mechanisms to support IP network and/or networking systems.
- 3+ years experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating and root cause analysis of those events.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Server Load Balancing, and Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IP, TCP, OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
- Experience with one or more of the following router, server load balancer, and firewall vendor platforms: Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, Brocade, Extreme, Citrix, F5, Fortinet, Palo Alto, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with networking and/or systems technologies
- Knowledge of network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
- Experience working in virtualized enterprise networking environments.
- Software development/programming
- Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Possess Scripting skills or have desire to learn them; specifically Python, Perl, or Shell (bash, ksh, csh).
- Detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, and a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself.
- Ability to work in and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
- A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large scale network environment.