Amazon.com is looking for best-in-class Network Engineers to drive the deployment, scaling and automation of one of the world's largest and complex networks: the AWS Direct Connect service - the service that connects AWS to our largest customers in datacenters around the world. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services and challenge us to be better, faster, and cheaper every day. We are expanding at a tremendous rate; it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network.
We have network engineer positions open in Herndon VA, Seattle WA, and Sydney Australia.
First, a bit of background:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 100 locations, which span nearly 70 cities in 30 different countries.
As a Network Development Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
• Be responsible for deploying datacenter network infrastructure across our network fabrics that support the Amazon Retail Service, Kindle, Payments and multiple AWS services.
• Deploy critical Tier 0 services relied upon by customer-facing systems as well many internal services, including Amazon Retail
• Deploy, scale and automate our network across multiple global datacenters. This includes existing footprints and greenfield locations.
• Drive scaling of current network designs to meet the demand of our customers.
• Create simple, repetitive deployment processes that increase both velocity and quality.
• Work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions; bringing those designs/solutions from concept to production
• Create and update our network standards and ensure that the network is deployed to these standards
• Create and implement changes on the network
• Work closely with our automation teams in defining the tools that allow us to scale at unprecedented volume
• Draft scripts for automating configuration and other tasks using tools such as Python, Perl, etc.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of designing simple, scalable solutions and troubleshooting complex network problems, and delivering innovative solutions and complex projects on time. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
A positive attitude and strong work ethic are non-negotiable: as a start-up, we wear many hats, we work fast and smart, and we adapt and iterate quickly. We are looking for someone who is ready to roll-up their sleeves and get going quickly.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Bachelor's Degree in a technology related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree
• 8+ years professional experience working in large scale networking environments.
• Experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, ISIS and/or OSPF
• Experience with network operating systems such as Cisco IOS and Junos.
• Experience working in a Linux/Unix environment
• Experience in automation via Bash/shell scripting and Perl/Python programming.
• Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
• A background in large-scale network design or deployment is highly desired.
• Software development/programming/scripting skills are a huge plus.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role