Network Development Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon is looking to hire highly motivated, best-in-class Network Engineers for our Network Infrastructure team that run critical Amazon Web Services IP networks. The team will drive the stability and sustainability of these next-generation networks and to discover innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand.
You will be expected to perform high quality network and/or systems operations, deployments, scaling, technology refresh, sustaining engineering, best practices application, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation. You will demonstrate an excellent knowledge of networking/systems concepts and theory, and have experience participating in network/systems support for a large-scale enterprise or service provider environment. You will have a proven track record of success in driving complex issues to resolution autonomously and/or collaboratively. A love for working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is required.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Maintain Amazon Web Services' next generation networks for significant AWS customers by providing critical network support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve large-scale networking events.
• Troubleshoot network routing, interconnectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools.
• Lead network projects in the areas of network sustaining engineering, network deployment/implementation, network scaling, technology refresh, best practices application, and/or network optimization.
• Drive and support innovation from Top of Rack to the Network Core and everything in between.
• Partner with our broader Network/Infrastructure organization in the areas of network engineering, configurations standards, and tools.
• Work closely with our Network/Systems/Software Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, as well as assist with deployment and sustaining of networking software tools.
• Maintain standards across the networking toolset and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
• Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Collaborate with highest tier escalation engineers/resolvers.
• Create and review documentation and process regarding network implementation/deployments, recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
• Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
• The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data center/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
Position may be located in either Herndon, VA 20170 or Seattle, WA 98101. Relocation assistance would be offered (pending qualification guidelines).
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Current, active US Government Security Clearance at the Top Secret level
• 3+ years experience in a network focused hands-on technical role working with IP routing protocols/technologies and platforms in large scale data center and/or WAN network environments.
• 3+ years experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating and root cause analysis of those events.
• 3+ years experience developing engineering, deployment, or operations mechanisms to support IP network and/or networking systems.
• Thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Server Load Balancing, and Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IP, TCP, OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
• Experience with one or more of the following router, server load balancer, and firewall vendor platforms: Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, Brocade, Extreme, Citrix, F5, Fortinet, Palo Alto, etc.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with networking and/or systems technologies
• Knowledge of network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
• Experience working in virtualized enterprise networking environments.
• Software development/programming
• Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
• Possess Scripting skills or have desire to learn them; specifically Python, Perl, or Shell (bash, ksh, csh).
• Detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, and a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself.
• Ability to work in and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
• A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large scale network environment.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com.
If you're interested in learning more about this role and others that are similar, please join AWS recruiters at our next virtual open house:
Back to top