The L7 Load Balancing organization is hiring, and we're looking for great Network Development Engineers (NDE) to join our team. Within Networking, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stakes challenges. Our teams support all aspects of connectivity to/from Amazon and the outside world, as well as the connectivity between Amazon's data centers and services. As a member of one our network engineering teams, you will play a part in designing and architecting networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, and can never constrain growth or innovation. If working on the networks that support the world's largest cloud provider and Earth's most customer-centric company interests you, please read on!
For this role, we are seeking Network Development Engineers to work in our load balancing organization. This team is responsible for designing and operating all of Amazon's massive scale data center networks. Engineers in this organization define the hardware platforms, physical topologies, routing architectures and software control systems for these networks. Engineers on this team make day-to-day and strategic decisions that carry a huge amount of responsibility and impact. If you're up the challenge, we'd love to hear from you!
We are inventing the networks of the future so our engineers require a deep background in network hardware, routing protocols and designing large scale networks. The ideal candidate for this team would have a knowledge of ASICs, optics and router system design as well as extensive experience designing and implementing routings protocols such BGP and OSPF. We're interested in engineers with experience having designed, operated, and implemented networks of very large scale. We're looking for those who have pushed platforms and protocols to their limits.
In addition to fundamental Networking skills our engineers must have Linux experience and background in network automation. SDN is a reality at Amazon and our networks are designed to be fully managed and operated via software systems. Some proficiency in Python, Perl, C, or Shell Scripting is required.
Experience managing large projects to completion is a must, either as project manager or lead. NDEs are expected to self-manage several projects at a time, providing regular status updates and identifying and pushing through obstacles.
It's important to be cross-disciplinary and accustomed to "reaching across the aisle", as you will be working with many hardware, software and customer organizations across Amazon translating customer and business requirements into actual technical solutions.
As a Network Development Engineer at Amazon, your core job responsibility is to design network topologies, architectures, and services that solve for many requirements. We listen to our customers (both internal and external), but we also listen to our teams. Our Engineers contribute materially to each team's roadmap, and constantly help us to determine what's most important. Together, you and your leadership team will decide on the projects that best support your team's mission. You will have the resources and time necessary to understand, scope, and deliver these solutions. The primary area of responsibility you and your team will have is to design ahead of customer or technology needs, always predicting and solving for problems that have not yet occurred. This takes the form of creating and defending High Level Design (HLD) documents, working with vendors or internal stakeholders to influence technology roadmaps, constructing and testing your solutions, and providing support to the teams that will deploy and operate these designs. Our teams also serve as technical escalation points in support of our very talented operations teams.
Inclusive Team Culture Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Work/Life Balance Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP (confederations and complex route reflector topologies), OSPF, MPLS, RSVP and ISIS
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major router platforms; specifically a deep technical understanding of all internal hardware components and understanding of router system design
• In-depth experience with hardware load balancers, VIP configuration and operations
• Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills; specifically network performance analysis.
• Linux experience, the ability to script in Python, Perl or shell, and code in Java, along with demonstrated experience automating and managing networks with software
• This position requires verification of U.S. Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements
• Graduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• Have worked on highly concurrent, high throughput systems with knowledge of distributed systems
• Experience mentoring more junior developers
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Understanding of Linux fundamentals
• Excellent understanding of networking protocols
• Have a comfortable understanding of Linux and networking protocols such as HTTP, DNS, TLS.
• Have used AWS or similar solutions to drive automation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.