Network Development Engineer
- Dublin, Ireland
The AWS Networking organization is hiring, and we're looking for talented Network Development Engineers (NDE) to join its team. Within Networking, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stake challenges. AWS networking teams support all aspects of connectivity to/from Amazon and the outside world, as well as the connectivity between Amazon's data centers and services. As a member of one of the AWS network engineering teams, you will play a part in designing and architecting networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, and can never constrain growth or innovation.
This opportunity sits within AWS Internet Services organization where the team is responsible for designing the networks connecting Amazon directly to the outside world (including the Internet, peers, and external customers), evolving the global backbone that interconnects AWS regions as well as partnering with internal customers. Engineers in this organization define routing policy, design and implement Traffic Engineering solutions, as well as architect the hardware platforms and network design to support internal and external connectivity. We move terabits of traffic in and out of our networks each day and are responsible for the ingress and egress points of traffic entering and leaving Amazon as well as the entirety of all internal and customer traffic that rides the AWS global backbone. Engineers on this team make day-to-day and strategic decisions that carry a huge amount of responsibility and impact.
As a Network Development Engineer at Amazon, your core job responsibility is to design network topologies, architectures, and services that solve for many requirements. We listen to customers (both internal and external), but we also listen to our teams. Our Engineers contribute materially to each team's roadmap, and constantly help us to determine what's most important. Together, you and your leadership team will decide on the projects that best support your team's mission. You will have the resources and time necessary to understand, scope, and deliver these solutions. The primary area of responsibility you and your team will have is to design ahead of customer or technology needs, always predicting and solving for problems that have not yet occurred. This takes the form of creating and defending High Level Design (HLD) documents, working with vendors or internal stakeholders to influence technology roadmaps, constructing and testing your solutions, and providing support to the teams that will deploy and operate these designs. Our teams also serve as technical escalation points in support of our very talented operations teams.
We're interested in engineers with experience having designed, operated, and implemented networks of very large scale, and those well versed in the operation of the Internet routing hierarchy. Candidates should understand the theory behind and have deep operational knowledge of routing protocols with particular emphasis on their impact to hardware platforms. We're looking for those who have pushed platforms to their limits, understand how to work within the limitations imposed by third-party software and how to avoid them through your designs.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is mandatory.
• Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols as well as network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
(Troubleshooting traffic engineering using BGP and large scale network design and maintenance is critical.)
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP (confederations and complex route reflector topologies), OSPF, MPLS, RSVP and ISIS
• Understanding and experience with Internet peering ecosystems and Internet scale traffic engineering is a must
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with major router platforms; specifically with Juniper MX, EX, and T-series platforms including all compatible processors and line cards for these platforms.
• An understanding of both network hardware and packet forwarding architecture.
• Experience managing large projects to completion is a must, either as project manager or lead. NDEs are expected to self-manage several projects at a time, providing regular status updates and identifying and pushing through obstacles.
• Candidates should have a minimum of 7 years industry experience in a similar environment e.g ISP, peering and exchange, and large (IP) carrier networks.
• Background in high availability, global backbone design and architecture is highly preferred.
• Strong Unix/Linux skills and the ability to script in Python, Perl, shell, C or C++ is desirable, SDN is a reality in AWS Networking. Daily activities will involve applying networking knowledge to SDN and Network Automation tools.
• Understanding of Hardware Load Balancers in a large data center environment
Expert-level certifications (e.g. CCIE, JNCIE) a huge plus.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top