Mechanical Engineer - Endpoints
- Redmond, WA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We are looking for an outstanding Mechanical Engineer with a background in design, analysis, and testing of secondary structure, PCBA, and sensing equipment for satellite systems. The ideal candidate has extensive experience ensuring requirements and survivability of electro-mechanical secondary structure via hand calculation, finite element analysis and test. This is a hands-on role for a highly collaborative individual that combines superb technical and analytical capabilities to convert analytic trade studies to a qualified physical design, while optimizing for high volume production and meeting cross discipline requirements.
• Mechanical design and layout trades contributing to overall system architecture configuration selection, requiring extensive knowledge and experience in understanding, collaborating and trading complex inputs from multiple other disciplines Electrical, RF, Thermal, Dynamics, Mechanisms, Materials, Manufacturing, Assembly, and Test.
• Generate detailed designs with CAD assemblies/components and drawings as deliverables.
• Generate margins of safety confirming design via classical methods (hand calculations) or numerical methods (FE analysis)
• Deliver an efficient structural design capable of high volume production throughput (DFMA)
• Documentation and presentation of materials for technical design reviews
• Design and support test campaigns, both development and qualification/acceptance, for space hardware
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Bachelor's degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline, or 5+ years of equivalent experience in CAD Design.
• Experience with structural materials and processes including metals, composites, bonded and bolted joints
• Experience using hand calculations for initial sizing of primary and secondary structures
• Advance degree (Master's or PhD) in structural or mechanical engineering or related discipline
• Experience performing vehicle, subassembly, or component trade studies to meet cross-discipline requirements and ICD definitions for a space/launch environment
• Design / CAD skills (Siemens NX, GD&T per ASME y14.5)
• Finite Element analysis skills (NASTRAN/ FEMAP, linear static & dynamic analysis)
• Experience supporting development and qualification testing of space/flight hardware
• Experience with common spacecraft subsystems: Power Systems (Solar Arrays, Batteries), Electric propulsion system integration, Secondary structures, Avionics assemblies, harnessing, ADCS elements and placement implications, Payload subsystems integration, Deployables, Release mechanisms, Moving mechanical assemblies, Thermal control systems and sizing (materials, finishes, MLI, HPAs, radiators), LV Interfaces.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top