Mechanical Design Engineer - Data Centers
- London, United Kingdom
The Data Center Global Services (DCGS) team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive Data Center Engineer to drive design, construction and implementation of enterprise data centers, which meet strict quality and performance levels across the globe.
As one of our Data Center Engineers, you will work directly with our Design Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the Data Centers within your assigned region. You will be the engineering representative on behalf of the Data Center Engineering Team responsible for the successful delivery of projects.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, understands the best practices for service-oriented product delivery and has extensive experience within the arena of domestic and international data center delivery.
As the Data Center Project Engineer, you will assist in data center site planning, development and delivery of data center environments regionally, which maintain the highest performance standards and utilize innovation to reduce budgets and increase efficiency. Data Center Engineer must have experience in evaluation of different system and development of new system. Experience in troubleshooting, operation and preventative maintenance of mission-critical facilities, associated MEP components is preferable.
Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The DCGS business requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
Teamwork is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with many of the internal groups within Amazon as well as external suppliers and consultants including; utility providers, equipment manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
You will require or build a deep understanding of the critical equipment needs and operational challenges for large infrastructure mission critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, while understanding the constructability concerns of varying designs.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
• Data center electrical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
• Participate in site selection reviews.
• Critical Data Center equipment design including Air Handling Units, Computer Room Air Handling Units, Cooling towers, Chillers, Sequence of Operations, Control Systems, Fire Detection/Suppression systems
• Design and collaborate with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
• Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
• Work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate electrical equipment.
• Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
• Knowledge of local building codes and regulations including Life Safety.
• Review and approval of equipment submittals.
• Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
• Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
• Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
• Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
• Be a leader within the global group as well as within internal and external teams that support Amazon's data centers.
• Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
• Minimum 5 years of mission critical design experience
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical engineering or relevant discipline.
• 3-5 years of experience in project management.
• In depth understanding of critical data center mechanical and electrical equipment.
• Experience reading and interpreting design, equipment and construction specifications and drawings.
• Possess leadership and problem-solving skills.
• Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
• Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
• An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality and reliability.
• Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
• The ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
• Must be fluent (read/write/speak) in English. Any other language is an advantage.
• 8+ years of experience directly related to data center design
• Professional Engineering license is preferable.
• Master degree in Mechanical engineering or relevant discipline.
• Understanding of international code requirements.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
• Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations.
• Experience across the APAC region
Back to top