Manufacturing Design Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo and Amazon Show. The Amazon Devices group delivers delightfully unique Amazon experiences, giving customers instant access to everything, digital or physical.
As an MDE Engineer, you will be responsible for defining and implementing DFMA good practices to the design of our product. You will be a key member of the development team and will be the main interface between the Hardware and Product Design Engineering teams with local and Offshore Operations teams within Lab126 and our OEM partners. In this role, you will:
• Work with design engineering to identify and escalate manufacturing challenges by enforcing DFM, DFA and DFS principles
• Investigate and introduce new manufacturing technology and methodology to enhance product quality and production efficiency
• Develop manufacturing process at the ODM, including defining fixture requirements, critical dimensions on parts and critical requirements in assembly
• Drive all factory-related operational issues related to final assembly processes during pre-production builds; ensure effective closure to enable operational success of the new product introduction cycle, and put products into mass production
• Identify and develop assembly jig and fixture for new products
• Work within Operations, Hardware, and Product Design engineering departments to implement and optimize manufacturing 1st pass yields and efficiency from prototype through product ramp
• Bridge the gap from OEM to Lab126 by supporting development builds and production
• Support cost reduction and sustaining activities
• BS in mechanical engineering or a related technical field
• 5+ years of experience in an engineering field
• Experience in mechanical assembly, including Tolerance Analysis and Geometric Design and Tolerance (GD&T)
• Experience in mechanical metrology including OMM, Displacement Lasers, Accelerometers, Confocal Microscopy, and other inspection equipment.
• Experience in process characterization and validation using statistical tools such as SPC, GR&R, Cp/Cpk, Design of Experiments.
• Experience with design for manufacturability, design for automation, and creating process documentation from scratch
• Experience with assembly jig and fixture design
• Experience working with International OEM Partners
• Master's or PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Engineering
• Ability to work independently and ensure timely and accurate communication between the Lab126 and our OEM partners
• Good understanding of manufacturing strategy and DFMA best practices
• Experienced with CAD, CREO preferred
• Experience with Statistical Analysis Software, Minitab, JMP, MATLAB, etc.
• Experience in Mechanical FEA, Abaqus, COMSOL, ANSYS, etc.
• Mechanically inclined, strong problem-solving skills, hands-on individual
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of interfacing at all levels of a business from equipment operators to platform VP
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top