Manager - State Tax Policy
- Arlington, VA
Amazon is seeking a Manager of State Tax Policy, who will be responsible for developing and executing public policy and advocacy priorities on state and local tax issues with state taxing administrators, legislatures, and other policymakers.
The Manager will work collaboratively with our Public Policy counterparts, Legal, and other internal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals.
The Manager will track and monitor state legislative activities related to state taxes, assess and communicate potential government activities to internal stakeholders, and develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions. This position will be based in Amazon's HQ2 in Arlington, VA.
• Coordinate with the Public Policy team to develop advocacy strategies regarding state tax policy issues.
• Develop methods and systems to keep Amazon's tax department informed and updated on US state tax policy developments.
• Execute on strategies to drive policymaking that will ultimately benefit our customers. Help manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
• Work collaboratively and transparently with the Public Policy team, the business, public relations, and Legal departments to ensure alignment between core business priorities and tax policy goals.
• This role will include significant domestic travel.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited institution with a focus in accounting or similar
• 5 years of US state and local tax experience.
• Juris Doctor, Masters in Taxation, or similar graduate degree.
• Experience in a major law firm, Big 4 accounting firm or major corporation performing US state and local tax planning for transactions, audits and/or other tax technical work.
• Significant policy-making process experience.
• Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization.
• Ability to be both a substantive issue expert on state and local tax matters related to Amazon's business and a manager of complex political relationships.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience creating and effectively delivering factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging.
• Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top