Manager Software Development - AWS Glue
- Redmond, WA
Manager of Software Development - AWS Glue & Lake Formation
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an
infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can
requisition compute power, storage, and other services paying as you
go for only the resources you need. AWS is the leading platform for designing and developing applications for the cloud, has over 400,000 third party developers writing applications for the platform and is currently used by leading companies like New York Times, Netflix and NASA/JPL. See details at http://aws.amazon.com.
The Database Services group provides rapidly growing, industry acclaimed cloud services in areas of big data platforms, data warehouses, analytics, and operational databases. The group is at the forefront of innovation in these areas producing world-class cloud services, which while large profitable businesses, are also in their infancy. They represent a large fraction of the AWS business, and continue to accelerate.
AWS Glue is a fully managed, next-generation data integration service. AWS Glue makes it simple and cost-effective to organize and categorize your data, as well as clean, enrich, and prepare it for fast analytics. We are looking for an experienced leader to take our early lead in the Big Data market and extend it by defining and delivering industry-leading, next-generation services architected for the cloud.
Joining AWS Glue gives you the opportunity to:
• Work on a disruptive product that's still in its early stages
• Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize Big Data computing in the cloud
• Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Be involved in the fast growing, Big Data space
• Lead and grow a software development team responsible for rethinking traditional data warehousing, analytics, and database architectures
• Manage the design, implementation, test, and deployment
• Conceive innovative new solutions for our customers, at the intersection of multiple fields: Big Data, analytics, warehousing, and machine learning.
• Mentor senior engineers and managers, provide leadership on complex technical issues, design tradeoffs, and feature and schedule prioritization
• Work with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements, and influence our technical and business strategy
• Help hire talented engineers and managers
This position within the Big Data team represents a unusual opportunity to shape the technology and future of a rapidly evolving industry and business. As with all Amazon positions, you will also be deeply customer-centric.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 7+ years of industry experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, leading technical professionals (software developers, development managers, and/or technical program managers)
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering with a minimum of 9 years of relevant software development and 5 years of engineering management experience
• A leadership position in a team delivering big data technologies, databases, storage, or distributed systems
• Work experience delivering one or more version one products
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Superior analytical and problem solving skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top