Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for engineering leaders to help us define and build the future of cloud computing. Are you passionate about leading teams and building software to solve hard problems? Are you energized by the idea you'd own critical services which underpin Elastic Cloud Computing (EC2)? Do you want to work with top-tier talent and operate one of the largest infrastructure platforms in the world? If you're thinking "Yes, yes and YES!", this could be the role for you!
You've got experience managing individual contributors and you will have a strong background in software development. Learning new things is routine in the fast-paced world of EC2 and you'll be excited by personal growth. You'll have shipped products before which entailed building high-scale distributed systems used by large numbers of customers every day.
What You'll Do
- You will manage a team of software developers; you'll hire and develop top talent. Being able to tackle hard problems starts with our people, you will be accustomed to leading and motivating high-performance engineering teams.
- You will own your roadmap and be fully accountable for its delivery. You'll take on goals with $100M+ impact.
- You must be an effective communicator within your team, with your peers, with senior leaders and with stakeholders. Through writing, you'll distill and communicate technical concepts and challenges, and be willing to argue for the right outcomes using data, conviction and diplomacy.
- You'll work with other managers and team members to break down complex challenges, to iterate on designs, to estimate engineering efforts, and to create work-back schedules for 'Need By' dates. You'll be deeply in the details of any trade-offs between approaches. You'll be an enabler and a force-multiplier for your team.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code and document reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and leader, and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- You hold a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Mathematics, in a closely-related discipline, or you possess equivalent professional work experience.
- You have 5+ years experience in software development, as either an individual contributor or a manager.
- You have 2+ years experience as a people manager, during which you led teams comprised of software engineers.
- You possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You have a clear understanding of cloud computing and how cloud services are typically architected and deployed.
- You've run a production service before at scale. You're familiar with 24x7 operations, and have carried a pager.
- You developed long-range plans and strategies for an organization, and you influenced senior leadership decisions.
- You established and evolved efficient engineering and development processes which span multiple software teams. You've got qualified opinions on testing, coding standards, code reviews, build processes and how to deploy.
- You've developed software for Linux platforms, and have experience with some of: Java, C++, Python, Ruby.
- You have a background in Applied Statistics, or experience with Machine Learning (ML).
- You're self-motivated with excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills.