Interested in Amazon Alexa? We're building the speech and language solutions behind Alexa and other Amazon products and services. Come join us!
As a Research Science Manager, you will manage a team of Research Scientists who develop language understanding models and components for various languages. You will take part in setting up team goals and will be responsible for your team delivering these goals. You will collaborate with other science and tech teams to introduce new tools or approaches, always on the lookout to improve our processes and velocity.
About the team
Our team specializes in bootstrapping NLU models for new Alexa languages. We are a team of Research Scientists, Language Engineers, and Data Linguists, who collectively own bootstrapping new Alexa capabilities from sets of example utterances, rules, grammars and statistical models. We are managing NLU artifact development and release cycles and deep-dive into NLU model performance to continually improve accuracy. Our mission is to develop NLU models with high accuracy, and deliver them on-time for new language and feature launches.
Key job responsibilities:
• Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members in their tasks.
• Leading improvement efforts to optimize existing NLU development processes or invent new ones.
• Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds.
• Supporting the career development of your team members.
The successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, demonstrated experience in people management, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
• Master's or higher degree in a relevant field (e.g. Machine Learning, Computer Science, Computational Linguistics)
• 5+ years experience in Machine Learning for practical applications
• 2+ years experience managing technical or science teams in the ML/NLP field
• Experience with various machine learning techniques and parameters that affect their performance, data analysis and visualization tools
• Experience working with speech and text language data in multiple languages
• Experience programming in Python, Perl, or another scripting language
• Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and of conducting error/deviation analysis
• Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations
• Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
• Experience with a wide variety of statistical modeling / machine learning approaches
• Strong attention to detail
• Exceptional level of organization
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Ability to think creatively and solve problems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.