Manager Optical Network Development
- Cupertino, CA
Amazon.com is looking for a highly motivated Optical Development Manager to help build, scale and automate one of the world's largest and complex optical networks. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. As we expand at a tremendous rate across all of our services it is our responsibility to maintain that quality and reliability. We look for innovative ways to develop solutions to scale our network as we expand, while driving complex issues to resolution.
As an Optical Development Manager you will be responsible for building and managing a team of highly skilled Optical and Software engineers, who are responsible for end-to-end ownership of defining, designing and developing the optical solutions for our Data Center Network. At Amazon, we ask our technical managers to be strong engineers who can dive deep and get involved in addition to being strong managers.
• Roadmap and Execution - As the Optical Manager in the network product development team you will be integral in understanding optical technology trends and our customer requirements to drive the development roadmap and work with our partners to deliver optical platforms (Software and hardware) that meet our unique requirements. You will be responsible for developing and improving project execution. This includes creating sane processes, procedures and automation to improve efficiency in our day-to-day tasks and projects. You will work closely on supporting our internal customers and ensuring that their needs and issues are being addressed.
• Operations - As an Optical Development Manager you will be expected to drive quality of our optical solutions in our network. This includes defining metrics that assist us in focusing on the areas that help in delivering operationally friendly products and work with cross functional teams in developing monitoring solutions for optical platforms.
• Performance Management/Team Health - You will own all facets of performance and career management for the team. Regular one-on-one meetings with all team members are required. You will be expected to provide both technical and 'soft skill' mentoring in order to maintain a well-rounded, world-class organization. This includes project management, quality audits and coordination of training sessions with senior-level engineers.
• Recruiting and Hiring - You will take the lead in hiring quality personnel who not only fit the needs of the current organization but also will allow the team to scale with platform and service growth. You will coordinate with Amazon and external recruiting staff to evaluate potential candidates, participate in initial phone screens and provide relevant guidance and feedback during on-site interview loops. You will also be responsible for ensuring that proper training takes place for all new hires.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Masters Degree in Electrical engineering or related field.
• 8+ years of industry experience in delivering optical solutions.
• 4+ years of management experience including hiring/retention/development.
• Substantial background building optical transceivers for data center networks.
• Proven track record of success conceptualizing and delivering Optical network solutions to customers.
• Prior ownership of the design and development of optical platforms.
• Hands-on engineering experience with optical networks.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• In-depth experience in the application of network design, including knowledge of major protocols, topology design, network hardware, device configuration and traffic engineering.
• Experience working with ODMs and component suppliers in delivering optical solutions.
• In-depth leadership skills, both tactical and strategic with proven results in driving the team to continually improve
• Experience in building solid working relationships with customer, peers and staff
• Ability to represent operational issues to senior leadership and dive deep into the technical details when required
• Experience managing projects with multiple dependencies and tight timelines
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this roles.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Back to top