Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon. We are a team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers' experiences.
We've been hard at work developing a new, fully-electric delivery system Amazon Scout designed to get packages to customers using autonomous delivery devices. These devices were created by Amazon, are the size of a small cooler, and roll along sidewalks at a walking pace. We developed Amazon Scout at our research and development lab in Seattle, ensuring the devices can safely and efficiently navigate around pets, pedestrians and anything else in their path.
The Amazon Scout team shares a passion for innovation using advanced technologies, a love of solving complex challenges, and a desire to impact customers in a meaningful way. We're looking for individuals who like dealing with ambiguity, solving hard, large scale problems, and working in a startup like environment. To learn more about Amazon Scout, check out our Amazon Day One Blog post here: http://amazon.com/scout
As a Manager of Applied Science on the Perception team, you will have the opportunity to lead a team in developing perception solutions for Amazon Scout. In this job you will:
• Collaborate closely with software engineers, applied researchers and hardware teams to develop machine learning systems for robots.
• Take responsibility for technical problem solving, including creatively meeting product objectives and developing best practices.
• Interact with teammates in variety of roles to accomplish your goals.
• Identify and initiate investigations of new technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
• Recruit, hire and develop applied scientists and software engineers.
• Foster career growth and a strong team culture.
• Interface with our internal customers to understand requirements, set priorities and communicate direction and progress.
• Help develop long-term development and business technology strategies.
You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you plan, design, and deliver the best experience for customers. Your passion for the potential of using technology to improve people's lives, and your experience leading complex technology projects will help you make strong business judgments.
If you're entrepreneurial and want to build transformative technology-driven products, join us in making history.
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning or other related fields
• 5+ years of experience managing a team of scientists in an industrial applied science setting, where your team's work was directly incorporated into production systems
• Proficiency in Python, and modern ML frameworks
• Understanding of computer science fundamentals such as data structures, object-oriented design and service-oriented architectures
• Ability to convey Machine Learning concepts and considerations to all levels of the organization
• Experience developing perception or computer vision systems for Robots, or similar
• PhD in computer vision, domain adaptation, unsupervised learning, reinforcement learning, or other relevant areas
• Experience building generalized machine learning models and infrastructure for robotics tasks
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field
• Experience defining organizational research and development practices in industry
• Experience tackling difficult, complex software and mathematical problems that do not have easy off-the-shelf solutions
• Experience in creating the right culture and environment to ensure a diverse group of people and skillsets can flourish and deliver true breakthrough science and innovation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.