Manager, Network Development
- Newark, NJ
Amazon's network is a key differentiator for Amazon Web Services (AWS), enabling the global operation of services and applications across millions of network devices and servers worldwide. The AWS Networking team develops and operates the network platform for all of AWS, including US Public Sector facing cloud computing solutions. This platform is industry-leading for its efficiency, throughput and reliability, and it is critical to the success of 1+ Million AWS customers, including the US Government.
Are you ready to own engineering, implementation, capacity growth, and operations of AWS' US Public Sector cloud IP networks? The Network Development Manager is responsible for a team of highly qualified network engineers who assess, engineer, deploy, scale, and operate our purpose built innovative networks. He/she is expected to enhance network capabilities and high level of availability AWS is well known for. He/she will lead network engineering, deployment, operations, standardization, optimization, technology refresh, and custom solutions efforts; while ensuring any escalated operations events on our network are mitigated with speed and precision. He/she will proactively drive the stability and evolution of the network environment. He/she will hire, develop, and grow a great team, set priorities, and deliver sustained network capacity and availability improvements. This leader will improve our network health by developing and delivering key operational metrics that point us to critical risks and problems, and drive rapid closure. He/she will relentlessly enhance our metrics and processes to continuously improve availability and performance. Our leaders are technical - have been there, done that - and understand their environment to accurately represent highly technical issues and matters; as well as exercise sound judgment during high severity events.
Our engineers, managers and leaders are passionate about continually improving our internal and external customers' experience. So come join us and become an integral part of the technology company that is a global trail blazer in Cloud services.
Physical and Other requirements:
• Must be able to work in a 24x7 managers on call rotation environment, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events if necessary.
• Travel to data center/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 8+ years in IP networking technologies such as - BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, TCP, SLB, Linux/scripting, with 5+ years in a network team management role
• Experience driving planning, engineering, deployment, scaling, operations, and/or enhancement of industry leading IP routed network solutions
• Experience presenting to senior management on matters such as root cause analysis and error correction from customer impacting events, metrics and reporting.
• Bachelor's degree in Networking, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline, or Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
• 10+ years in a technology role and 6+ years in a networking team management role
• Experience with network engineering, deployment, scaling, and/or operations, either as a manager or individual contributor
• Experience running teams of 6+ individual contributors
• Experience in contributing to the definition and implementation of automation opportunities within an operational network environment
• Experience in Agile management methodologies
• Understanding of Unix systems
• Experience working with immediate and extended teams
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, and strong project management skills
• Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision, and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
• Strong desire to innovate, ability to multitask, sense of ownership, and urgency.
Back to top