Manager II,Systems Engineering
- Arlington, VA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Manager II, Systems Engineering to manage the team responsible for maintaining the availability, security, and stability of its Amazon Kinesis service. Amazon Kinesis makes it easy to collect, process, and analyze real-time, streaming data so you can get timely insights and react quickly to new information. Amazon Kinesis offers key capabilities to cost-effectively process streaming data at any scale, along with the flexibility to choose the tools that best suit the requirements of your application. With Amazon Kinesis, you can ingest real-time data such as video, audio, application logs, website clickstreams, and IoT telemetry data for machine learning, analytics, and other applications.
You will mange a team of engineers responsible for delivering projects on time that exceed customer expectations. You love to work with internal and external customers to execute projects and resolve issues. You are a believer in the dev-ops model of service engineering, and you are excited to run operations in an environment where developers don't toss problems over the wall. And you are happiest when you are working with empowered, world-class engineers to meet world-class challenges. Finally, with your strong ownership bias, you have an infectious desire to continually improve how things are done.
The ideal candidate is:
• A good people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class DevOps engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
• Is technically and operationally deep. You will regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify root cause of complex issues. The ideal candidate has experience as a software or systems engineer.
• Has strong project management experience. The successful candidate will create roadmaps for the team. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. Experience with Agile methodologies is an advantage.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant work experience
• 4+ years of relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems
• 2+ years of experience as a Systems Engineering and Operations leader/people manager
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
• Demonstrated success building and leading teams
• Performance engineering and capacity planning background
• Systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems
• Leading development life cycle processes and best practices, esp. in the areas of deployment automation and monitoring
• Mentoring/training systems engineers
• Communication skills, both written and verbal
• Deployment and usage of monitoring systems
• Leading software development organizations in a "DevOps" mode
• Exposure with distributed systems at scale
• Forecasting and capacity planning systems
• Experience with Agile engineering practices (Kanban, continuous delivery, etc.)
• Using AWS on commercial or government a plus
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top