Manager Data Science - AWS Product Analytics
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is looking for an outstanding Manager, Data Science to join the AWS Product Analytics, to lead the team responsible for building and maintaining end to end analytics solutions that drive business and product decisions. This is your opportunity to be a core part of the team that has direct impact on affecting the long term roadmap of the AWS EC2 Product Team. This role is within a larger Data science, Business Intelligence & Data engineering team that focuses on broad data exploration, quantitative methodology, and statistical modeling to drive actionable data intelligence in AWS.
Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. AWS is a high-growth, fast-moving division within Amazon with a start-up mentality where new and diverse challenges arise every day. On the AWS Product Analytics team you will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that world class BI is critical to our success. To help build this growing team, you must be highly analytical and possess a strong passion for analytics and accountability, set high standards with a focus on superior business success. We take working hard, having fun, and making history seriously. AWS sets the standard for functionality, cost, and performance for many cloud based services, but it's still early days for cloud computing, and there are boundless opportunities to continue to redefine the world of cloud computing - come help us make history!
The ideal candidate will have a track record of building teams that span both business and technical competencies, gathering business requirements and creating ML and analytics solutions that have measurable customer impact, and demonstrating exemplary written and verbal communication skills. The candidate will have to set the right vision, strategy and roadmap and work alongside with stakeholders in the organization to make it happen. The successful candidate will have a strong quantitative background and can thrive in an environment that leverages statistics, machine learning, operations research, econometrics, and business analysis. S/he will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and be able to lead a team to innovate and think big, while diving deep to meet our bar for quality and accuracy.
• Hire, manage, coach and lead a high performing team of Data Scientists
• Engage with leadership and diversified customer groups to understand the needs and recommend Data Science solutions.
• Partner with Data engineering team to define the data elements and data structure that the team should leverage to enable analytical capabilities.
• Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete Analytical solutions.
• Work with Data engineering, Software development teams to enable design and delivery of scalable ML solutions.
• Design, implement, and support platforms that enable deliver
• As a leader of a science team, develop junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
• Participate in strategic & tactical planning discussions.
• Make recommendations for new metrics, techniques, and strategies to improve the operational and quality metrics.
• Be connected and influential within the Amazon Science community.
• Masters degree or foreign equivalent in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics,Business Analytics, MIS, or a related field , and solid years of relevant experience.
• Proven leadership in ML.
• 4+ Years Experience in management of mid-sized- to large teams
• 10+ years of work experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning - related problems, and large scale simulation.
• 6+ years' of experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.)
• 4+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
• Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, and ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations.
• Master's or PhD degree or foreign equivalent in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics,Business Analytics, MIS, or a related field , and solid years of relevant experience
• Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
• Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities across global stakeholder groups.
• Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases and Big Data Technologies
• Experience with R, Python, Weka, SAS, Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software.
• Experience with reporting tools - Tableau (preferred), OBIEE
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
• A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
• Strong analytical skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top