North America Sort Centers (NASC) are experiencing explosive growth and looking for a skilled, highly motivated Data Engineering Manager to join the NASC SPEeD (Sortation Products Engineering and Data) team. The Sort Center network is the critical Middle-Mile solution in the Amazon Transportation Services (ATS) group, linking Fulfillment Centers to the Last Mile. The experience of our customers is dependent on our ability to efficiently execute volume flow through the middle-mile network. The SPEeD team is expected to build scalable solutions to address increasing operational complexity from the evolution of new processes such as containerization, heavy-bulky freight, international shipping, customer returns, and Amazon Robotics solutions. We need to continuously innovate on behalf of our customers and develop new platforms and new science-based planning tools to efficiently match processing supply to logistics demand.
This is an entirely new initiative and great development opportunity which gives you the ability to come and shape our destiny! You will build new services and experiences and will work with new technologies that improve usability and increase performance and scalability. You will have an opportunity to work with a wide range of teams and services across Amazon. Also, you will have an opportunity to get guidance from principal product managers and senior engineers to help with your professional growth and development.
We are looking for a Data Engineering Manager who is customer obsessed, and thrives in a fast-paced environment that requires strong technical and business judgment, solid communication and project management skills. You should be an experienced manager capable of leading and inspiring a team of excellent data engineers, and business intelligence engineers. You know how to help engineers navigate priorities and communicate clear expectations with customers. You should be knowledgeable about the architecture of data warehouse solutions for the Enterprise using multiple platforms (EMR, RDBMS, Columnar, Cloud). You should have experience in the design, creation, management, and business use of extremely large datasets. Above all, the role requires someone who loves data, understands enterprise information systems, has a strong business sense, and can lead a team to put these skills into action.
This high impact role will have an opportunity to lead a team to help design and build our data infrastructure and work with emerging technologies such as Redshift and associated AWS cloud services while driving business intelligence solutions end-to-end: business requirements, workflow instrumentation, data modeling and ETL. You should be an expert at designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low cost solutions to flow data from production systems into the data lake and into end-user facing applications.
Due to the interdisciplinary nature and breadth of the areas of interest, the ideal candidate will coordinate across many internal and external teams, and provide visibility to the senior leaders of the company with their strong written and oral communication skills. This role will suit self-driven individuals who can organize themselves and the team quickly, and seamlessly work with economists, applied scientists, software and data engineers, managers, Amazon Scholars, and Amazon senior leadership. We need individuals with demonstrated ability to learn quickly, think big, execute both strategically and tactically, and motivate and mentor their team to deliver business values to our customers on time. They have creative and startup mindsets, and are always excited to take on new and ambiguous projects, and have an eye for detail and seamless coordination across technical and business stakeholders. No task is too small for them.
• 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• 2+ years of experience managing a data engineering/data analytics team
• • Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, data lakes, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience leading and influencing the data strategy of your team or organization
• • Experience in SQL
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 10+ years industry experience.
• Experience managing a technical team of 8+ engineers for 4 or more years.
• Experience hiring, developing and promoting engineering talents.
• Experience Communicating to senior management and customers verbally and in writing.
• Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple high-complexity projects with competing priorities and diverse team members.
• Industry experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g., Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
• Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc).
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.